Are you concerned with the lack of renewable power options?

" Chernobyl deaths contrasts with a rigorous 2009 review of 5,000 mainly Slavic-language scientific papers the IAEA overlooked. It found deaths approaching a million through 2004, nearly 170,000 of them in North America. The total toll now exceeds a million, plus a half-trillion dollars' economic damage. The fallout reached four continents, just as the jet stream could swiftly carry Fukushima fallout."

http://blog.rmi.org/LearningFromJapansNuclearDisaster

CHarlan

Asked by CHarlan at 2:06 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• IMO, transportation needs need to be met with renewable energy sources. Power for homes needs to be met with renewable energy sources. Solar panels would do wonders, even in the North- research what is currently happening in Germany. Wind and hydroelectric are both underutilized. Leave the oil for material production. Not a fan of the NE-

I think most of our parents and grandparents were very green because they were 9are) frugal....over consumption did not become vogue until the 80s-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:30 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I'm confused...is your questiion about renewable energy or the nuclear disaster.

You question says one thing and your info another.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:16 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I like nuclear power.
    I don't like the fact that GE produces the majority of the Reactors, and the people who are employed to do routine PM's are not as accountable as they should be.
    I like any kind of energy really, and as long as everyone keeps flipping one switch or 300 daily, I am a happy camper.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:36 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• To answer your question, No
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:54 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Well, if we are going to worry we had better worry about everything the govt has their 'slackassed" hand in.

I have no problem with nuclear power. When done right and with property procedures/maintenance it is a safe energy. My biggest problem with it is the storage of the "waste".

I think it is crazy the US is pushing so hard for solar and wind energies. Why don't they use the same great ingenuity that built the "bomb" to find a longterm solution to our energy needs?

Farm, I know what you mean about being reen before it was cool. My Mom was a green machine..everything had more than 1 use and didn't get thrown away until there was nothing left of it..and she was great at keeping the elec bill down. She didn't intend to be green..she just had no money!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:47 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• http://oig.tva.gov/ like this guy

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:41 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I'm not ~ but I'm also not one to sit around and wait for the gubmint to do things. We already make partial use of renewable/alternative energy, and very shortly will not use any that we don't generate ourselves. We have several backups as well, again, on our own dime and without waiting.

You have alternatives available to you now. Everyone does (well, if they aren't renting they do). No one but yourself is stopping you. The fact that so many people won't bother is the ONLY reason the US is not leading the way to cleaner, non oil energy sources. The plain truth is that very few are truly interested. Lol, I didn't even get started initially to go green. 'Green' wasn't even a catch phrase when I began searching for a way to not have to pay utility bills every month. Since we are trying to live sustainably, it's all good.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:25 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• We should just have coal fired power plants. It is one of our own resources, keeps americans working and we don't have to depend on foreign nations.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 4:59 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• uh huh...how long do you think he falsified paperwork and PM's? How many reports are in filing cabinets right now are falsified? Who let this guy get by with shoddy work? How long you think this guy's been working in powerplants? How many more do you think are out there like him?
    It's not just nuclear, it's everywhere. Natural Gas has a tendency to explode too, along with Methane.
    I'm not concerned with the lack of renewable power, I'd be more inclined to worry about the noloads who are currently working in the field.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 3:03 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• You realize TVA is the federal government don't you?
    And they can't follow their own policy, that they wrote?
    How far do you think the Federal Govt is going to push this issue when they are trying to basically prosecute Themselves? lol
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 3:08 PM on Mar. 29, 2011