Scheduled C-section && People going back with you...

I had an emergency c-section with my first daugther, and they let me bring one person back with me during the surgery. I am having a scheduled c-section with this pregnancy, and was just wondering if it'll be the same, as far as them letting one person come back with me. I know they always let you take one person back as long as it's not "a bad situation". I have been told by people and done some research online and read that you should be able to bring one person back to support you, and one person back for the baby, has anyone been able to do this? Or known of anyone who got to do this? I am just curious, I know it's VERY unlikely, but since I did read about it and hear about it, thought it wouldn't hurt to ask :)

PrdWifeNMom07

Asked by PrdWifeNMom07 at 2:16 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Pregnancy

• My husband was with me the whole time during my scheduled c-sections.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:17 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• You have to ask your hospital. Each one has different policies. Ours was "dad only, NO exceptions" and sometimes even dad was kicked out.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:17 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Normally they don't do this, I was lucky to be friends with my gyno and hubby was left in during the c-section, but it would not hurt to ask.

Answer by older at 2:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My first was emergency, and they only let one. My second, which was scheduled, I was allowed two! It was awesome to have my husband AND my mom there!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• the anesthesiologist is god. He/she runs the show and is who grants permission for more people.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I could have had one person in the surgery room with me and one person in the mother baby room waiting for he baby but I chose to have my DH follow the baby out of the room instead. I wanted him to be there. I was okay being with just the nursing staff while they sewed me up.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• forgot to add, the anesthesiologist more likely than not will give the 2nd person a once over looking them up and down. Assuming they're in a good mood and the O.R. does actually have room they'll likely base their decision on how nervous or excitable the person looks. If they're anxious, pacing, sweating, freaking out it'll be a no go. The ob/gyn performs dozens of c sections a week and could likely do it in their sleep. And the baby nurses could do their work with 1 job behind their back. But the anesthesiologist is running the show, keeping you alive and comfortable, monitoring your stats, and has to be ready to knock you out at a moments notice, and has piles and PILES of paperwork & documentation to keep up with. If there's any chance of a fainter or a drama queen getting in their way it'll be a no go. A cooperative husband sitting on the assigned stool is tolerable. A 2nd person can throw the game off.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:23 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I was allowed to bring my husband both times and that was it.
    AllThatBabyJazz

Answer by AllThatBabyJazz at 2:30 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My first was an emergency C-section, my daughter was a planned. I had my husband and my sister there with me. My sister was in nursing school at the time and asked if she could be an observer. My husband, the doctors, and I had no problem with it. I don't know how many people I could have had there with me but that felt like enough. The parade was in my hospital room as family and friends came to visit.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:30 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• i would ask the hospital and doctor about it
    sweetangel8211

Answer by sweetangel8211 at 2:38 PM on Mar. 29, 2011