Declutter

how do u convince a 8year old to get rid of things? he saves everything. he wants to keep clothes that dont fit just to keep not wear.. he has a drawer full of broken stuff he never touches but he refuses to get rid of... his room is just a disaster of useless junk he wants

kimsmith22

Asked by kimsmith22 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• I go through my kids clothes when they are not around. I never ask them. They never notice.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:33 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I go through my sons room when he is at school. he has yet to miss a thing... A lot of the clothes he doesnt feel bad about or he will suggest we pass it down to his litte brother in a few years
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 2:47 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I just go in there while he is at a friends house or at school and throw out little bits at a time. He will notice and throw a fit if it is done all at once.
    simplysavvy

Answer by simplysavvy at 2:56 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Clean it up and clean it out when he's at school. Seems cruel but better he get used to the idea now that he cant have things his way 100% of the time. Espically the cloths, donate them when he's not around.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:32 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I don't flip and trash their things. I just remove the clothes that don't fit anymore.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:36 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I set aside a weekend to overhaul the room, no negotiating. Hit the dollar store and get him a treasure chest for small broken things. They might have neat stories behind them or sweet memories. Something small that'll fit on a dresser or in a drawer

As far as clothes make an assembly line and he's in charge of tag checking. (my kids just did this in anticipation of spring clothes coming in) my son only kept clothes that said 6 or bigger. my daughter got rid of anything with a 3 or 4 on it.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:36 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I find that suggestion traumatic. He is still a person...... how would you feel if you came home and your room and private things were flipped and trashed
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:34 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Tell him he has until the end of the week to decide what is important enough to keep and after that you are going in and anything that does not fit or is broken is going in the trash and anything he didn't sort on his own you will sort for him.
    I have to do that with my 10yo. She's a hoarder and gets all upset when she's outgrown clothes and I want to pass them down to her sister. She has even stolen them back. She has all sorts of junk in her room (that she shares with her 2 sisters so there isn't room for it). When it gets to my last nerve I give them one last week to deal with it and then I go in with trash bags and anything I decide is junk is thrown out. If it's important to them they better have it picked up. They thought I was joking the first time. Now they're quick to decide.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:43 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• You could start by just having him put items that he hasn't used in a few months and won't need anytime soon in a "memory box". You could provide him with a couple big tubs and let him fill them with whatever he wants and whatever fits. Anything he can't fit into them, have him help you prepare a yard sale that he can have the earnings.

I let my daughter fill tubs and store them away and in time I go through them and get rid of unnecessary items (when she doesn't know); although my daughter is 4 and probably doesn't have as many items that are of personal value. She does however have a tendency to insist items she hasn't used in a really long time are her favorites as soon as I prepare a donate box. The "memory box" tub idea is a helpful solution for at least organization/de puttering purposes.
    Roseymagnolia

Answer by Roseymagnolia at 3:14 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• We have some big boxes in the garage. When the kids are asleep, I put all of the stuff I'd like to clean out in the box. If a certain thing is missed, the kids know to ask if it is in the box, and I go and retrieve it. The stuff that is not asked about for 3 months goes to donation . . . the kids don't even notice, but they are very used to things being retired to "the box".
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:45 PM on Mar. 29, 2011