How do you deal with family and so called friends who constantly critize you and put you down making you feel like you don't ever do anything right?

mlgrob57

Asked by mlgrob57 at 2:41 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Relationships

• omg did you have lunch with my mother in law?
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:43 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• well, by any chance, do they have a point? I think if everyone around me was saying that, it wuold be time to either look at what they are saying and see what I'm doing, OR, not be around people who would treat you like that if you AREN'T doing everything wrong
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:43 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I don't let things like that bother me. They are not given a chance to do so.
    trisha31

Answer by trisha31 at 2:45 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I simply don't deal with them..

Someone who I qualify as a "friend" does not criticize me.. Any that did would no longer be a friend of mine.

If a family member treated me that way, I would not have anything to do with them either. Someone being family does not mean that I need to socialize or interact with them on a friend or friendly basis.. Be cordial/polite/diplomatic if I'm around them at a family function, sure.. Be friendly and have anything to do with them outside of family functions..nope don't have to do that and I wont'.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:50 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I kept my mouth shut it got worse! Now I speak up and just say cut the crap!

Walk away or hang up the phone, but never sit there and take any Bull Sh!t from anyone!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 2:53 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Sounds like my MIL! I have stopped answering her calls during the day (she only calls to nag at me or leave messages for hubby, so she can call when he's home), I don't visit her and I don't work my schedule around her - she gets mad when we are homeschooling and don't stop because she dropped in unannounced (and uninvited). Basically, cut them out of your life as much as possible. People like that are toxic and you don't need them.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:03 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Laugh hysterically when they say something nasty right in their face. If people don't get the satisfaction from seeing you hurt or offended, they usually stop. Make them look like the jerk.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• i would just separate myself from them. who wants that in their life. no one wants to be criticized on things they do or what they have done in the past. you need to find people that give you support no matter what. those are the kind of people you surround yourself with. the same with family don't associate with them if all they are going to do is put you down.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 3:26 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I would probably be gritting my teeth until I had sharp nubs and bite their heads off when they made me explode...lol No really, Don't worry about others, and what they try to do to you. If people are around you when it happens then they will know that the person critizing you is the jerk. If they are human that is. Nobody likes to be put down. Believe me, According to my kids daddy, I can't do anything right without him going behind me. It's just their cold hearted nature or something. They obviously don't have a happy life so they want to make yours a living hell too. If you hold it all in eventually they will make you blow up and it will be on them then. good luck and it happens to the best of us
    alicia37863

Answer by alicia37863 at 3:28 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Remove yourself from these people they mean you no good!!
    Blocking people out is one of the hardest things someone can tell someone else to do but trust me its worth it sometimes. The less they know the less they can critize about you.
    Mudda69

Answer by Mudda69 at 3:38 PM on Mar. 29, 2011