Can your eyes get sunburnt?

I was at my SO baseball games this weekend for his kids. 4 Hours in the sun and I am burnt all over. Since then my eyes burn and are dry. I looked it up online and it does say they can burn?
Has this ever happened to you?

Nickcole23

Asked by Nickcole23 at 2:48 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• thats why sunglasses were invented love!!
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 2:54 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I worked in an eye glass place for years, and I was told that Sunglasses are really bad for your eyes. I never wear sunglasses.
    Nickcole23

Comment by Nickcole23 (original poster) at 3:01 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• that's not true hun. quite the opposite. you WILL see yourself with many severe eye problems later on in life (including blindness) if you don't wear them. i think that's a sick joke that they told you. they wouldn't sell them if they were bad for you. now if you wear them in dim light and you are straining, that is bad for you, but being in sunlight with no protection will damage your eyes permanently
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 3:07 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• i think i know where this myth stems from. Dr. Mercola mentions that using sunglasses interferes with the absorption of vitamin D. he fails to mention that your eyes do not effect the absorption of vitamin D, only your skin absorbs vitamin D. what your eyes will absorb is the harmful UV rays which will cause the growth of Pterygium and cataracts. you were not told facts hun. get some sunglasses. they are good for your eyes. i hope the damage that has been done isn't to extreme
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 3:17 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• The good news is I am never in the sun, and when I do go to these games I will have to go buy some. I leave for work too early in the morning when the moon is out. And do not hit sun on the way home.
    Nickcole23

Comment by Nickcole23 (original poster) at 3:39 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• yes
    miranda2011

Answer by miranda2011 at 11:27 PM on Mar. 29, 2011