Do I really have to tip my beautician?

I love her and would if I had the extra cash but I already pay her $75 dollars to highlight and trim my hair! I knkow they make quite a bit of profit off of that! I dont want to sound mean, I just feel bad if I don't and yet I already dislike spending that much on myself?!

gardenmommy2

Asked by gardenmommy2 at 2:51 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• It doesn't really bother me to tip because when I'm getting my hair, nails etc done, it's for me to relax. If my stylist is good and makes it a pleasant and relaxing experience then I totally don't mind giving a tip. The only time I hate leaving a tip is for valet. Nothing makes me more mad than that, especially at a hotel where you're already paying up to $20 dollars a day and then they expect you to tip them as well. That's the only tipping situation that annoys me.
    crystac

Answer by crystac at 3:00 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• well if you go to her regularly she might start to get pissed at you for never tipping and mess up your hair next time. just a thought. Even an extra $5 would be appreciated for all she does to keep you pretty
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:56 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Gawd I know what you mean! Mine usually cost $90 before the tip! Ugh -- I suck it up though and shell out a little more
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 2:53 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• No, you don't have to tip anyone. A tip should be for a job above and beyond the normal expections, hence calling it a tip. People who think they are owed a tip for doing their job are not likely to get one from me, ever.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:54 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I do, and technically, if you have the $75 just to get highlights, I'd think you'd have another 10 for a tip -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:54 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I did hair for 4 years tips are always great but not always given where do you live and how much of your hair did you have highlighted to cost so much?
    april_f

Answer by april_f at 2:57 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• She does do an excellent job so I probably should. It takes me forever to save for a trip to the salon, and $10 actually does equal another month of waiting, it just stinks to wait another month when you really need an appointment :)
    gardenmommy2

Comment by gardenmommy2 (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• You don't have to, but it is a nice gesture. I always tip. It depends on the shop, where they work. Some go off commision and other get a steady pay when some have to rent a booth. Really for those who go off commision, they truly only get about 40 percent of what the total cost was. At least that is how the salon was that I worked for. It adds up, but if you don't have a lot of work that work or for that weeks, your paycheck can really suck :/
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 2:59 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Sorry typo. If you don't have a lot of work for the week or for 2 weeks.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 3:02 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I try to always tip when I'm happy with the work a person has done for me....I even tipped my tattoo artist lol
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 3:02 PM on Mar. 29, 2011