Kindergarten standardized testing question...

my sons class has testing starting next week. The teacher just sent out a mass warning email that the majority of the testing subjects she'll administer orally but there's a few parts she isn't allowed to have anything to do with and they're on their own, instructions and all.

WTF ... more than 1/2 the class is still on phonics (and the other 1/2 are reading very simple word books like "Dan and the cat did sit" Is this pretty normal these days?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 2:53 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in

• For state testing it is. They don't want the teachers coaching the kids along. What they don't realize is that these kids are often times not ready for such testing.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:55 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• It sucks, but sounds about right to me. My son is doing his testing to go to first grade in May and they have to write discriptive sentences, and these are administered by the state, not the teacher! He's a smart kiddo, but dang...........
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 2:57 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• That is really crazy, IMHO, because I know there are many kids that cannot read in K, or even 1st (and sad to say, even higher). I have a Kindergartner and the only testing he does is reading site words and books orally. His school has a goal that every K student should be at by time they are done with K, and they track their progress throughout the year.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 2:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Glad I homeschool!
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 2:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• That is ridiculous! Yet another example of Parents having to do the Teaching today instead of the Teachers. When I went to school, Teachers did the work & we were all on the same level.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• i think they do that so they can devide the kids. see which kids are more advanced and place them together
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:00 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I am really leaning more and more towards enrolling in a virtual online academy :( I just don't know if I can deal w/ this anymore. THE PRESSURE! MY POOR LITTLE BOY!
    hibbingmom

Comment by hibbingmom (original poster) at 3:06 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I think that putting material in front of a child that is above their level of comprehension has got to be extremely frustrating for said child! I don't think it's good to attribute learning to being frustrated. I would check out all sorts of other schooling options.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 3:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• wow I didn't know they even tested K. They are not able to understad stuff like that..smh
    Jazmineamomma

Answer by Jazmineamomma at 3:14 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Thank Bush and his "No Child Left Behind".... *sigh*
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:15 PM on Mar. 29, 2011