Mamogram....

have you had one? How old were you with your first? I havent and am 37. My maternal grandma had a double mastectomy due to breast cancer years ago and my mom has had several biopsies... just wondering when the best time is.

rebeccadac

Asked by rebeccadac at 2:56 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Health

• I had my first one at 42, and it is no big deal. I just read the best time to go is the week of your period. And since you have family history, go and get a baseline done now.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 3:01 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I had one at 30 when I found a lump which turned out that I had a bunch of begnign cysts that had to be drained. I am glad I did it then since now I have a baseline to refer back to. If I were you I would have one done Now. Just as a precaution for the same reason & It can be hereditary. It is simple & non invasive. Also ask for your x-rays back to keep for the future. GL.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:02 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I had my first one two years ago when I was 45 and I had another one this year. 

With your family history, you have a good reason to be concerned, so start now and good luck.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I was 40 with my first. I get them every year. Breast cancer runs in my family. But I pray they come up with a better way to do them. I call it the titty vice test. It just HURTS.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:33 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I'm phobic about that so I started having mine very early, maybe 30's. So early I had to convince the doctors to let me get one each and every year. I'm 61 and never miss one.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:42 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I have not had one but Dr. Oz just said to be SURE they cover your throat when they do it. The rate of throat cancer is sky rocketing. That and at the dentist but you may have to ask for it!
    Anonymous

• I've had them yearly sice I was 30 or so. There is a history of breast cancer in my family. Don't wait too long.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I had one in '08 & '09. Nothing was spotted. Later that year in '09. I discovered a lump.! By 2010 when I went in. I had full blown Aggressive Triple Negative Breast Cancer. I had the false sense of security hearing you're less likely to get breast cancer if you get Migraines. I hoped that was True. I've had Migraines now for 32 years Straight! I personally met girls as young as 29 and 34 with Breast cancer. We never had decent insurance. 2 years ago my husband lost his job and our insurance. This made my Battles harder and meant going without.. I have a link on my profile page to help you get a free mammogram if needed. I don't want anyone to go through this! I hope for the Cures!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 7:15 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I was 37
    Nitestalker

Answer by Nitestalker at 10:02 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Baseline at the age of 35 per the new recommendations. No history in my family so one at 40 and didn't have one last year.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:07 PM on Mar. 30, 2011