Do you require your children to participate in sports?

Why or why not?

Renee3K

Asked by Renee3K at 2:57 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I present him with the opportunities to participate, encourage participation (not coercively), I set an example of being active....and we let him pick the things he is interested in. I believe in following his lead in his passions and interests. At four years old my child loves ballet and wants to take tap. He is interested in playing drums and guitar. Loves theater so we encourage it by going to live performances. He likes the Y sports programs but we don't push it. He said no to baseball. So no it was. But he is comfortable with soccer and was willing to try basketball.  I do not see where it would benefit my child to have him required to participate in something if it does not suit his area of intrests.  I listen and observe what he is into and expose him to knew things....the rest works itself out.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 5:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I think its insane that a parent force their child into sports. As children, didn't we hate anything our parents forced us to do? My son's father has always played sports and naturally he brought DS along and he just took after his father, by choice but I'd be pissed if he forced him!
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 2:59 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• i am not going to force my children to do something they dont want to do .. so far i am lucky because my daughter is a dancer and my son is a baseball player.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 2:59 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• No, but he is only in K. But even when he is older, I will not *require* it. Some people just aren't sporty.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 3:00 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Require? No way. But depending on the sport I will encourage it. Mostly because of the exercise and socially I think it's good to learn how to be a team player.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 2:59 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• they must be in something at all times. I don't care if its sports or scouting. My son is in nothing right now for the 1st time since he was like 18mos old and it's weird for him/us. He was in an all boys hip hop class but his asthma was out of control so we yanked him for the year. This Summer his top choices are dance again or karate.... daughter is pretty much always ballet/jazz
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:59 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Require them? You mean, force them? No, but so far my kids have been interested on their own. They are only 6 and 4, but my dd6 has taken balelt since she was 2 and still loves it, has taken swim lessons, skating lessons, and is now starting softball. My ds4 has been in swim lessons, skating lessons and is now in a soccer and floor hockey class and he loves it. If they weren't interested in sports, I'd have them in something they were interested in, art, music, etc....
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:59 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• no
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 2:59 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• my 4 year old is in dance and t-ball, but only because she wants to. She has been in dance for 2 years which is by my choice the first year, the second because she wanted to do it again. The t-ball was all her choice, she has been asking for 2 years to play, but she couldn't because she was not old enough finally she is.
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 3:03 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• No, but they were in sports most of the time. Also, we had the rule in HS and college, if you were in a sport or any other activity that required a big time commitment outside of school, you did not have to work. Otherwise, you needed a PT job. Our oldest quit sports and extracircs as a Jr in HS and worked, but our youngest, has always been supper involved in sports and extras, and has worked very little-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:04 PM on Mar. 29, 2011