What would you do?

what would you do? Spring break is coming up next week and report cards come out Monday. I know my stepdaughter is doing really bad i believe she will have 3 D's. She has been on punishment with me for almost a month now (i told her till she has no D's) punishment is when she gets home she has to sit down and do all homework and when she finishes extra worksheets or writing. No tv or games and no one is aloud to sleepover. She will be with us for spring break since her mom didnt want her. Do I ground her or just forget it. I dont want to punish myself at the sametime. What should I do?

tomsjennabean

Asked by tomsjennabean at 3:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• The punishment is always harder on you that it is on them. Yes, she stays punished.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 3:10 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I'd wait and see about the D's, confirming them.

Then I'd sit down with her in private and be like WTF is going on hun? Why the D's? What should your punishment be? How can we fix this? Before break maybe try and conference a teacher or two for some extra credit to do over spring break to bring a D to a better grade? Then she can still have a semi decent spring break while doing some extra credit stuff as well
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:11 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Wow!! A mom that actually cared the kid got a D!!!!! Most folks seem happy if the kid passes, and a D is passing. Id keep her grounded. How else will she learn?
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:12 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I say don't punish yourself!!! Stick the plan when spring break is over. Be very sure she understands, you will stick to the plan when it's over.
    darter

Answer by darter at 3:13 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• If she's been doing all that you say for the the last month (homework, studying, extra work) and she still isn't improving she may not be able to do the work. Look into getting her a professional tutor. You can't punish her forever for not being able to do something. If however, it's just rebellion and laziness, not turning in work, not studying, talking or getting in trouble at school, then continue the punishment. Get a sitter and go out while she stays at home and studies.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 3:17 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• the grades are posted on the computer (school website) thats how I know about the D's. The teachers wont give extra credit.
    But the grading period ends friday so when she starts back after springbreak she will start with all A's again. I was gonna lay off on the punishment but still make her do aleast 2 worksheets and reading daily.
    tomsjennabean

Comment by tomsjennabean (original poster) at 3:17 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• No you can't just forget it- that's how children learn to just wait you out. Does she live with you full time? Unfortunately it does ground you as well as her. I would just say if you guys are going out to do anything fun do not allow her to go. Find an alternate place for her to go. If you can't, then take her along and do not allow her to participate. Grades are my number 1 reason for punishment in my house.
    lifesapuzzle

Answer by lifesapuzzle at 3:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Limited activities would be my punishment for her allow her to do things for only an hour, or make her work around the house to earn priviliges, and home study all the way through spring before awarding any activites.
    Mommylovesu2011

Answer by Mommylovesu2011 at 3:27 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Limited activities during the break would probably be much better for both of you.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• You say her mom does not want her does she live with her mother? Does her mother care that she is not doing what she is suppose to do? If not and she lives with her mother and her mother does not really care what she does when she is there you are kind of fighting a real hard battle. I think you should punish her but I also feel there is something underneath her laziness that's not being found. I have two step children a son whom was the perfect child and a daughter whom was the daughter of Satan. Their mother was a Hugh part of my daughters problems and if I would of not looked into what was happening at their biological mother's home my daughter would not be the person she turned out to be, there is no way she could of lived the way she was living and became a normal human. So if she lives with her mother and you said she did not want her maybe you need to look a little closer. I promise you will be glad you did
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 3:35 PM on Mar. 29, 2011