Price of milk is dropping drastically. Any ideas why?

Today at the grocery store milk was priced at $1.25 a gallon. Last week it was 1.37 a gallon. This is so cheap especially considering it was over 2.99 a gallon a year ago. Any one else notice this?

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 3:12 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Food & Drink

• It is still 3.29 a gallon here. I bought some yesterday.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 3:13 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• The Milk lobby and Govt control milk prices. It's anyone's guess why it's going down, But I wouldn't complain. SSHHHHHHH They might hear us wondering why it's cheap and raise the price again.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:13 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Wow, where do you live? Our milk is still more than $3 a gallon.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:14 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Ours is still expensive, too . . . I hope the price drop travels! Especially since gas is like 4.10 per gallon!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:15 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I'm out west of San Antonio. I shop at HEB, but I even checked the prices at Walmart and they are priced the same!!!
    texasgurl33

Comment by texasgurl33 (original poster) at 3:17 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Hmm, we're in Oklahoma - I wonder if it would be feasible to drive to Texas to get milk. LOL
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• HEB is cheaper because they use Texas dairy farmers and such to obtain their products. We live in Killeen/Fort Hood, Texas and love HEB. Their produce is amazingly fresh because most comes from Texas. It isn't imported, which in turn means cheaper products. Our milk is $2.30 a gallon.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:19 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• We still pay 5 dollars for a gallon of milk. The prices have not went down here.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 3:20 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• It's the time of year when cows begin to produce more milk. Also, feed costs are lower--cows can now eat green grass whereas during the winter months, they have to be fed hay.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:21 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Prices in this little burg in Maine are almost at $4.00 a gallon. I haven't noticed any price reduction on milk.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:27 PM on Mar. 29, 2011