Any ideas on how to keep the mosquitoes away?

I'm so excited that Spring is here!! I've been fixing up our tiny back yard so my 1 year old can have some cool summer fun (he'll turn 2 this summer). But I'm not sure what is the best way to keep mosquitoes away from us without dousing him in bugspray. Last year I just hooked those Off Clip-Ons to either the stroller or to me and it worked pretty well, but I don't think it's safe to clip one onto a toddler.

Has anyone had luck with any plants or essential oil sprays? I've been reading about how mosquitoes don't like lavendar or spearmint oils (and a bunch of other plants)... so I was thinking of potting some near his sandbox.

Any other ideas? Thanks for the help!

Sebbiemama

Asked by Sebbiemama at 3:30 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Avon sells this stuff, Skin So Soft I think.., and it helps keep the bugs away. It's just a lotion but they don't like it. Other than that, I think the best thing to do is just spray him with child friendly bug spray.
    Braydens_Mama06

Answer by Braydens_Mama06 at 3:36 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Yup. Avon skin so soft works like magic at keeping the skeeters away and it's not a toxin.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• What about a stroller net ?
    I think if you clip the bug replant to the back of his pants...he might not notice its even there, as long as you watch him...it shouldnt be too big of an issue.
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 3:39 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Yep, Avon Skin so Soft.

Unfortunately I'm allergic to it.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:40 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• We bought some all natural bug killer at Home Depot and it is AWESOME! It killed all the bugs in our yard, and is safe for kids and pets. Also, make sure there is no standing water in your yard.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:46 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• No standing water in your yard. Treat your grass. And SkinSoSoft.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:38 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• We have a bug zapper and I love it. They stary away from us for the most part. We also have citrinella candles we lite. GL
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 12:13 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Thanks Ladies! Looks like I'll have to check out Avon's Skin So Soft and maybe a bug zapper.
    Sebbiemama

Comment by Sebbiemama (original poster) at 9:11 AM on Mar. 31, 2011