The birds & The bees

I have a 6 year old DD I was wondering how can I talk to her about sex? I want to be straight foward about it! but I don't want to damage her lol I was never told growing up so I don't knwo how or what to say or how to start

myliljs

Asked by myliljs at 3:53 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I agree that at six I would not go into great detail. I think that when kids start asking questions then it is time. With my son, I just always answered whatever questions he had, honestly. I would never take it any further. He learned quickly that he could come to me with any questions he had and he always did. It worked out well for both of us.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 10:19 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Try having some books around that you can use as a "jumping off place."
    Sarahinez

Answer by Sarahinez at 3:57 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Answer questions simply and honestly....age appropriate
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 3:55 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I agree to answer questions simply and don't go into long drawn out explanations at this age.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:57 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I am trying to think of that to and have not a clue. My daughter is going to be 6 in 31 days so I want to start talking to her about things like that before long because noone ever talked to me about that kind of stuff and I want her to be open and honest with me when she starts going through puberty and sexually active. Which I know the sexualy active stuff I have a while, but my parents never talked to me about that not even about periods so I am planning on talking to my daughter soon about it as well
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:00 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• At 6 I wouldn't go into detailed explanations, just answer her questions. I think 8 or 9 is young enough to go into more detail about the changes their bodies are going to go through and more about sex.

Answer by missanc at 4:16 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I went to the library and asked the childrens librarian to point me toward some age-appropriate books. I picked out a couple and then my daughter and I read them together. I didn't get giggly or silly (although I sort of wanted to, lol); I just kept it straightfoward and informational. When we were finished reading and looking at the illustrations, I asked her if she had any questions or thoughts. She did, and we discussed them. Then I told her if she ever wanted to talk about anything like that or had any questions about her body that she should feel free to come to me and I will always answer her to the best of my ability.
    This was really hard for me as I came from a family where bodies and sex were NOT discussed.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:41 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I agree about age appropriate books and answering simply.
    mommythree0508

Answer by mommythree0508 at 4:46 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Thank God my daughter's not asking. She'll be 6 soon. Sex wasn't something that was discussed in my house except once - maybe. I didn't even know what a period was until after it happened. I am not going to be discussing periods in a postive note. I don't care what the experts say. They're morons!!! A period is NOT something to look forward to. It's not even talking about sex that makes me uncomfortable. It's the talking about the consequences that does. I don't know how to give it the most negative spin I can so she won't repeat the mistakes I've made in having sex before I got married and then choosing a loser who liked to hurt me emotionally. Of course, if I hadn't had sex before marriage, she wouldn't be here. Sometimes being a parent sucks when it comes to having to discuss hard stuff.
    leomommy1325

Answer by leomommy1325 at 6:19 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• At 6, nothing too graphic, and no use of the word "penetration" or anything like it. Just be honest, but not overly detailed.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:08 PM on Mar. 30, 2011