My daycare provider just emailed me about our son....VENT!

He is 3-1/2 and she told me he had a fit about putting his boots on to go outside and then started hitting his legs and then got put in time out.. like ok..... so he's having an off day or he's 3, this isn't UNcommon behavior for that age.. we are working on doing things for himself and he does get overly frustrated, she is aware of that.. is that something I needed to know about though? I mean, technically I am sure ALL of the kids there have done that before.. I just find it odd and it bugs me today I guess..
would your provider call/email you to tell you that too?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 3:57 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• A call or an e-mail during the day always makes it seem worse. It indicates urgency to me, similar to a call in the middle of the night. It's also frustrating because you feel a bit helpless since you aren't there and don't know how bad it really is. My daycare only calls me when one of the kids is sick or hurt, but my older daughter's second grade teacher used to email me at least once a day to tell me, "Keely is under her desk." There wasn't much I could do about it from my office, so I offered the teacher several options for dealing with the situation; she chose to ignore my suggestions and just kept emailing me every day.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:45 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Mine always told me when they misbehaved.

Answer by gemgem at 4:00 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My daughter preschool teacher reports that stuff to me . . . . I was horified, at first. But, it gave me a chance to work on it a little more at home, and with the teacher being the eyes and ears at school, we could accomplish things very fast.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:06 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I do agree a little with givingtreemommy. Also I am an over worrier type of parent and personally would like to know if my DD did this so I could go see and comfort him. But his daycare was just calling you to complain about your son, rather than an actual concern, ya that was a bit over the top.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 4:01 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• As a child care provider, if a child in my care ended up with bruises on their legs I would tell the parent asap. I would call them and tell them as opposed to an email tho
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 4:06 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• No one wants to hear stuff about our children...fries your butt! Give yourself and the teacher a break. Remind the little one to behave at school.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 4:02 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• lol.. Oh that made me laugh Givingtree, I am sure that's probably just it and the fact my period is coming probably isn't helping..thankslol!~!
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 4:03 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I like it when I get updates daily! I don't think they would've made a point to tell me SPECIFICALLY that she didn't want to wear her shoes, but they may mention that she was fussy that day! I did get an email awhile back though that my DD had kicked her bff on purpose. I dropped everything and went there, pulled her out of class and asked her what was going on. She was just having a particularly grumpy day, but it ended with her apologizing to her friend and to the teacher -- then the teacher sent home a note saying it helps when parents are so helpful and supportiveand gave me kudo's for being a "great" mom -- so that was nice!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 4:10 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I never called the parents unless something was up..when I watched a friends little boy, and only called them once or twice..and both times it was bc he had gotten sick and had to have a bath bc he smelled like baby formula throw up..blah, and to let them know that my dd had gotten sick midday, and to just be on the look out bc they had been playing together...anything else, I always waited on until they picked him up..it's a little strange that she emailed to tell you that he had a fit..all kids have off days, and all kids will have fits, so I don't see how it couldn't have waited,..that is unless he got majorly hurt or hurt another badly in the process. The other moms are right, it's really irritating to hear "negative" (couldn't think of a better word, sorry) things about our own kids.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 4:38 PM on Mar. 29, 2011