Step-Parents...

How easy/hard was the transition to an already made family?

simplysavvy

Asked by simplysavvy at 4:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• Im not a step mom. I do have a blended family though. My kids loved my husband, until they found out we were getting married lol. They thought he was going to change & want to replace their (dipshit)dad. He told them he wasnt there for that, but as a second adult who loved them and cared about them. Thats it. It made things MUCH easier I think because he knew coming in what his role would be, and that he would NOT be the one disciplining them without my consultation, and would not interfere in the relationship between me & ex when it came to the kids & our choices for them.
    Now my 2nd ex, his mistress was very controlling, wanted my son to call her mom, was a complete bitch. She is history. So, maybe you can learn something from it lol. She thought she would walk in and have authority over my son & automatic respect. Doesnt work that way.

Answer by gemgem at 4:23 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• It 's hard, because I was 19 when I met DH and his son. We've been together 3 years. We married 8 months ago, and it's been hard because we have different ideas on how ss should be raised. I'm not a bio-mom, by choice. I just wish I knew more stepmoms..
    MrsCota

Answer by MrsCota at 4:32 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I have trouble, still, and it's been a couple years. DH & I have different views on how to raise children, although we're trying to find a happy medium. But there are some things that DSD does that I just don't agree with, but when I raise my concern, I feel like I'm stepping on DH's toes...
    Irix

Answer by Irix at 4:49 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My boys don't get along with their step-dad, and their step-dad doesn't go out of his way to change that. Whenever he talks about my kids, it is always to complain on that her thinks they should be doing or what they haven't done that day. It is hard for him, and I know to come into a family that has different rules and values that he has, and try to change them. My oldest is 19, I think it is too late to change things now. My hubby thinks that he should have have chores at the house, when all the kid does is sleep here between his two jobs. What do you think?
    simplysavvy

Comment by simplysavvy (original poster) at 5:33 PM on Mar. 29, 2011