So I start my new andn hopfully tempoary endevor at being a SAHM tomorrow...

any advice. I have worked for the last 15 years with out a break and was laid off yesterday. DH doesn't make enough for this be a permanent situation but I want to make the best of it. What advise to you have for a mom who has worked at least part time for this long. I was a SAHM for 12 weeks after DD was born I guess but I still checked in a work and did little jobs for them on the weekends. I just don;t know what to do with 7 full days at home! How do I keep the kids busy? How so I keep myself busy and not over whelmed? I can't afford anything but the park and I know that will get old after a while right? I just don;t know how to do this! It will be like fri-sun all week long!! I always look forward to work on Monday and now that's gone. I have to figure out how to enjoys this. I want to enjoy it. I do.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 4:49 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• well I am a forever SAHM of 5 kids (8,5,4,1 and 4 monthes) and I wake up, clean for 2 hours, cook breakfast, clean, do laundry, take my daughter to pre-K, clean, make lunch, go to gym ( mommy and kids gym), go to the park or a playdate, come home, get kids from school, make dinner, clean, give baths, get quiet time done ( book and movie for kids) and get them to bed, then I tidy up and relax with DH and watch a movie, we do alot of outside time ( chalk, bubbles, arts, crafts, riding bikes, and taking nature walks!) We also do alot of creativity things, like finding leaves/flowers and coming home and making collages! Good luck! BTW I am constantly playing with and feeding and changing them all day too! ( Takes up alot of time...lol)
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 5:56 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• You just figure it out. Make a schedule is the first thing. You get up, make breakfast, clean up some, do something with the kids (you can look up free things online like print outs to color, educational things etc), read books, then its usually lunch time, so theres that. If they nap you get that time for you. And really before you know it the day is over.

Answer by gemgem at 4:51 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Make play dates to hang out with other SAHMs?
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 4:52 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Make yourself a schedule, get together for coffee with friends (this keeps me sane) start a project! Clean all those closets and get rid of all the junk that youo havent had time to do! This will make you feel good! I cant wait for garbage day!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 4:55 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• trust me, you'll figure it out. it will take some getting used to, and you'll be lost for a while. i worked for 23yrs until last june, moved away from home, and thought i'd lose my mind. i'm just now getting to where i don't think about things being on a schedule (haha..read gemgem's post)-when worked (hairdresser), i lived by my appointment book, so much that i mentally timed taking a bath, making the bed, paying the bills, etc. i was so used to living in 15min increments, i was lost without my appt book telling me when to piss or poop.
    its actually liberating to realize i don't have to have the floors mopped on a certain day, by a certain hour. (i would be lying if i said i don't do certain things on certain days..i am OCD, y'know.)
    you'll be surprised how fast the day will actually go, op. sure there are times you'll be bored or bitter, even, that you are home when he's at work. you'll be fine! its temporary, right? GL!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2011