Do you think 18 months is too young to potty train?

I really wasn't planning on doing this until summer, just before he turns 2. He's just adamant about not having a diaper on. and he's doing really well with sitting on the potty. i just dont know if I"m doing the right thing by going forward with this, I don't want him to get confused or anything

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 4:49 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• no,not too soon. 20,30 years ago this was the age mom's started

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:51 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• They can't tell when they have to go to the potty until they're 2ish. The nerve thingy doesn't develop until then. But you can always start by showing them what the potty is for. That's what I've been doing with my 20mo. Good luck. :)
    Irix

Answer by Irix at 4:51 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• There is no right age, every kid is ready on their own time. If he shows signs of being ready, by all means, go for it! As long as you don't force it, I don't see a problem.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:56 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• DD is 19 months and started asking for the potty at 18 months. I don't push it, but if she wants to use it I let her. I think it's b/c she is in daycare and saw her friends on the potty! We alternate pull ups and diapers. She likes going to the bathroom, grabbing a magazine, and shutting the door! LOL! If he is ready, just let him. Kids will do what they want when they want to when it comes to stuff like this!
    momma1013

Answer by momma1013 at 4:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• No. 18 months is fine. I was potty-trained by that age......and I wish we would have started my daughter sooner. She'll be three this summer and has zero interest in anything but pull-ups. :-(
    Molly4630

Answer by Molly4630 at 5:04 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• go for it if there ready then thats good! you got a head start
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 5:19 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• If he's ready - GO for it - many kids who are ready early and their parents ignore it, live to regret it later!
    Good luck, mom! :) Let that lil guy potty!
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 5:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Not to soon, if he is interested. If he does not like wearing diapers and does not mind sitting on the potty, encourage it. It will only hlep in the long run.
    mlanderson

Answer by mlanderson at 5:41 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• No, not too young i started both my kids @ 18 months.
    BalooSkii

Answer by BalooSkii at 7:12 PM on Mar. 29, 2011