Will my kids be embarrassed of their hippy mother when they get older?

I am a little bit of a hippy, I like either boho style or i am in jeans/yoga pants. I have dreads, don't wear make up. My mother says I need to "conform" so I don't embarrass my kids or is more so I don't embarrass her?

Bubbie0809

Asked by Bubbie0809 at 4:50 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I think it depends on the kid...I wear all black all the time- listen to goth music and all that, and my daughter loves me! The only thing that embarrasses her about me is if I tlak to loud in a store or get bitchy about something in public...but she likes how I dress-even steals my clothes a lot same with my music...

not sure how my son feels- he has never acted embarassed...or said he was
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:11 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Don't worry,no matter what you do/wear,they will find a reason to be embarrassed. You can't win! :p

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:52 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Yes they will be embarassed but not until like, middle school. But by high school they will probably think your pretty cool lol
    LiviLove613

Answer by LiviLove613 at 4:53 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• don't conform if you don't want to!! your daughter will think you're cool for being a free spirit and not a "mom" you know what i mean. i think moms in mom jeans and their ugly sweats are more embarrassing
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 4:53 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Oh, they'll be embarrassed regardless of what you wear or do. That's what kids are supposed to do!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:54 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• If you are a good mother, they will accept you the way you are. My oldest hates that I am a teacher, and all of her friends know me as such. If you're boring, your kids will "hate you" for that...if you're wild, they'll "hate you" for that...and in the end, when they are adults, it will not matter in the slightest.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:57 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Yes you will. We have kids in school whose parents are that way and she does not even acknowledge them when they pick her up. It is really sad. On top of it alot of parent do not associate with them either. They have all these bumper stickers on their cars like COEXIST, BOB MARLEY lmao and all sorts of crap. They do not even ACT like parents of a 9 yr old girl. She told them one time not to ever get out of the car again because she did not want her friends to see them. So yeah, they do get embarrassed.
    Anonymous

• Maybe, it really just depends on the kids. If a child is a little offbeat themselves, they probably would think you were kinda cool. If they're not, then yes, they may be embarrassed. But as others have pointed out, there's a good chance that they're going to be embarrassed about SOMETHING anyway. I was never embarrassed about the way my parents looked (which was very normal/boring) but I was so humiliated whenever they picked me up in the giant conversion van our family had...totally mortifying.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:59 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Your kids will find something to be embarassed about no matter what.

it is what kids (teens mostly) do.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 5:03 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• anon - I am not that big of a hippy, no bumper stickers on my car...and I do act like a parent, I just am flowy skirts and tops dreads and pucca shells.
    Bubbie0809

Comment by Bubbie0809 (original poster) at 5:07 PM on Mar. 29, 2011