When I deliver, will they allow DH to be in the bed with me? Has anyone else done this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:52 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Pregnancy

• mine was. i was on the edge of the bed with the bottom part broken, pretty much squatting and he was sitting on the bed behind me rubbing my shoulders
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 4:55 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• You could probably use the help of a birth doula.
    ;-)
    She can help your husband to help you AND be a human reminder of your legal rights to labor and birth as you prefer.
    Reclining in a bed is not a good laboring position, it's just convenient for the staff.
    If you avoid that then you are more likely to help your baby descend and be more comfy.
    Moms can be on the bed facing backwards or forwards or standing/squatting on the bed or not even ON the bed at all.
    I have witnessed these variations in the hospital, it is possible sure!
    (*But the medical staff may have a different view of the Mom because she clearly brought in her own helper, lol. So maybe less likely to offer her info about the alternatives --or bully her into what is convenient for them.)

I have had water births myself and do HIGHLY recommend them.
    Think about your priorities and then hire providers and setting to accommodate.
    Best wishes!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:29 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• doubt it.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:53 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• call the hospital and ask?
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 4:53 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• behind you do you mean? I agree with anouck,there's not enough room

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:54 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• lmao at Anouck. I agree, you are going to be taking up the entire bed. I was very lucky and so was DH I was pleasant to be around during labor, even so I couldn't imagine him in the bed w/me.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 4:55 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Depends on where you're delivering. Most hospital beds wouldn't be big enough. The birth center I delivered my first at had a big queen size bed and my husband laid next to me the whole time.

If you're at a hospital he probably won't be able to be on the bed with you but it should be fairly easy for him to be at the head of the bed right next to you.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 4:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• This is not our first baby. I know how big the beds are. I want him behind me if they will allow it. I will be asking the doctor next time I go.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My guess would be yes unless there is a complication, I know for me the support on my neck & shoulders was a big help. He wasn't behind me just helped support me while I pushed. Good lick hopfully your Dr will not object to it.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 5:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• They might be depending on the hospital 'rules'. Check with your doctor and if they feel it would be okay then I would make sure to add it into your birthing preferences you take with you to the hospital.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2011