If you co-slept, how/when did you transition your LO into their own bed?

My 19 month old DD still sleeps with me and likes to BF about 4 am. She just started sleeping from 10p-4a for the past week. I was wondering when you transitioned your LO to the bed. Also, did you buy a toddler bed or use a mattress on the floor? I have no idea what to do! I am fine with her being with me, but want to start working on getting her into her own room. Thanks!

momma1013

Asked by momma1013 at 4:55 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I never forced it. They had their own rooms, toys etc and could sleep with us any time they wanted, or in their own rooms. By the time they were for sure 4 they werent even in our rooms anymore lol. I would get her her own bed first and foremost & her room where she will be staying. Tell her its her OWN room with her OWN things and that usually excites them enough to want to stay in their own room.

Answer by gemgem at 4:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• i put a twin mattress on the floor next to my bed with bedrails all around, about 15m
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:59 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I never moved mine, they are 5 and know where their room is if they want it
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 5:00 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Wow I praise you ladies on tolerating having little ones with you for so long, what about mommy and daddy time?
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 5:03 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• DD #1 moved to a twin mattress on the floor at 16 months. At the age of 2, she moved to a captains bed. DD #2 only slept with us for a few months and then she slept in her crib at 4 months of age because she slept better alone. She moved to a twin captains bed at 19 months.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 5:07 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Our son slept with us until he was 3. I didn't care and as far as mom & dad time when he stayed all night ith his grandparents is when we would have our time. After he got to be 3 is when we pressed that he needed to sleep in his bed. He will still come into our room sometimes though. It doesn't affect us!
    ilovexzavier

Answer by ilovexzavier at 5:16 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• You can get plenty of mommy & daddy time outside the bedroom.

Answer by gemgem at 5:22 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My daughter was 4 when I finally said she had to sleep in her own bed. She moves a lot in her sleep and when I was preggo with #2, I needed her in her own bed. The first week or so was difficult, but it's no problem now.
    Ms.Maricel

Answer by Ms.Maricel at 6:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• We still co-sleep ! DS is 17 months old. Basically the pediatrician said that if you dont transition your child to a crib by 6-9 months ...then its best to wait until they are 2 1/2 -3 years old. The reason is that if you do it at the later age they will have a better understanding...and the likelihood of abandonment issues are far less.

Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 7:16 AM on Mar. 30, 2011