My baby can read

How do you feel about the "my baby can read" products?

Do you feel like people are rushing their kids when it comes to their educational milestones?

Or do you feel that they are great products that everyone should try!?

I have never tried the products but i find them really interesting.. Not really sure which side i fall on still! Just looking for different opinions :)

kaitilala

Asked by kaitilala at 4:56 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'm not against them in the sense that I would like to participate in some sort of book burn lol but I wouldn't use it with my kids. Theyre not learning to "read" theyre learning to memorize what the word looks like/means. I'm against it because when I was young I didn't learn phonics and that lead to years and years struggling with spelling. I still don't spell well because sounds of letters don't always make sense to me. I'm afraid that memorzing the words before they learn the sounds of letters, will inhibit their ability to learn their phonics.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 4:59 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Don't buy that overpriced, worthless stuff. Read to your children, talk about sounds, don't pressure them. NO flashcards.
    Sarahinez

Answer by Sarahinez at 5:00 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I never used it. I always read to DD every night before she goes to bed. I also work with her in fun ways. She has been in daycare since she was 1 1/2. now she is in K-4 and i was just told last week that she is the best reader in her class.
    momoftaterbug

Answer by momoftaterbug at 5:10 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• They are absolute garbage.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 5:48 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• someone gave them to me as a gift for christmas for my DD. She watches them everyday and really seems to enjoy them. I dont know if it makes a difference either way really...although I know someone else who's son has been watching since he was an infant and he is almost 3 years old and is literally reading kids books. I'm sure just reading to your child will accomplish the same result however, I don't think the my baby can read program can HURT either...
    LiviLove613

Answer by LiviLove613 at 6:16 PM on Mar. 29, 2011