Tantrums at 1 is that normal?

My son is 15 months he isnt spoiled and hes a jolly little guy but a few weeks ago he started these bad tantrums, he'll get mad throw himself down , head butt, kick, slap, hit, or grab and scream and cry real tears. I tried calming him, soothing him, telling him its and hes not snacking to much or anything) shouldnot nice to hit..kick ...etc. and I tried time outs, even a slap and the bottom which I do not like but nothing else works. I treid to see if it was bordom, hunger, teething, nothing works. he doesnt have much of an apitite( the doc says its normal but I know its not when I can't get him to eat one meal a day besides snacking but not overly) should I take him to a therapist?

mocamomma22

Asked by mocamomma22 at 1:19 AM on Nov. 28, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• sorry the " tsnacking to much part" got up at the top and jumbled the beginning.
    mocamomma22

Answer by mocamomma22 at 1:22 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Your son is in the "terrible two's" stage. Do not give him anything when he is acting this way. Don't soothe him or talk gently with him. All of this will only encourage him to continue this behavior and you do NOT want to do that! Ignore him and tell him sternly that you will not give him attention until he behaves. As for the eating: offer him meals and snacks at the usual times. He will eat when he is hungry. Don't give in to him or he will rule you and that is a dangerous place to be. Just when you think that this is bad - just wait. The "horrible threes" are next! Hang in there mama!

Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 1:34 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• my sons starting to do the same thing hes 17months were deffinatly hitting the "terrible twos" area...I agree with Babylove dont give in...he'll expect it all the time...GL were both gonna need it lol
    justinsmommie09

Answer by justinsmommie09 at 2:02 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• Thanks I wasn't sure if he was to early for the terrible twos. Hes so cheery and it bothers me. I know grandpas on his s- list for annoying him so I wanted to make sure its not an emotional thing.
    mocamomma22

Answer by mocamomma22 at 2:28 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• My son does that now and he'll be one on the 13th. We have a rocking chair that his daddy used when he was a baby, 28 years ago, and we sit him in that in the corner if he's throwing a fit over something. He threw a huge tantrum at Walmart the other day for no reason so I took him out of the cart, let him stand up, and then he threw himself to the floor. When I finally picked him up one of the ladies working there asked me "did he fall out of that cart?" When I got to my moms house and I told her she said "you should have told her no, I pushed him out you dumb b*tch".
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 10:44 AM on Nov. 28, 2008

• when he has a tantrum tell him you are choosing not to play with him when he behaves that way and then put him in a playpen (that way he can't hurt himself). i would only offer three meals a day and a snack between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner. if he doesn't want it, don't fret. he WILL eat when he is hungry. you can also supplement with pediasure if you feel he needs it. don't offer junk and he will eat what is there eventually.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 12:16 PM on Nov. 28, 2008