IUD during pregnancy?

I had a Mirena IUD inserted 4 weeks ago...@ my follow up appointment yesterday, the strings couldn't be found so I was sent for an US. There I was found to be 7 wks along. 3 tests before the insertion appt, all @ home, indicated NEG, so I wasn't concerned. The IUD is lodged in the top of my uterus, and my Dr believes the placement and pregnancy before insertion will very likely lead to a miscarriage or very early preterm delivery. I do not feel comfortable continuing this pregnancy for fear of my life and the fetus' life (IUD could cause me to bleed out should it go thru my uterus during fetal growth). I don't care about bashing, I'm just interested in whether or not any one else has experienced this or got pregnant while on an IUD. I'm really confused with what to do. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• i got pregnant with an IUD in last year and was 9 weeks along before i found out i was pregnant. I was 2weeks late for my period and took a test that came back negative. I went to my OB and found out i was pregnant and so my OB removed my IUD. i dont know what they do if the IUD cant be taken out. I have heard that it implants into the placenta eventually, but im not sure. I had a healthy pregnancy and delivered my son only one week early last April. He will be one on April 22nd. I hope all goes well with you and im sure you will make the right decision for yourself.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 5:08 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I find it very strange that they did not give you a pregnancy test in the office before they put it in there. They are supposed to give pregnancy tests before ANY birth control application, even if you took a test at home. I was scared i was pregnant before i got my Mirena, i did pregnancy tests at home the day before & they came out negative. When i went in for my insertion of mirena, they did ANOTHER pregnancy test just to make sure i definitely was not pregnant & she said that they have to do it by law before inserting the mirena.

It's very rare that you get pregnant with a iud in there & if you DO get pregnant, then they did not insert it properly.

Do what's best for you, no one else can tell you what is the best thing to do but YOU.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:24 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• That is not true that if you do get pregnant with an IUD that is was not inserted properly.....mine was still in place when i became pregnant. they are 99.9% effective.....SOMEBODY HAS TO BE THE 1%......i guess that one percent was me.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 5:28 PM on Mar. 29, 2011