Friends with Benefits?

good idea? bad idea? impossible?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Relationships

• depends on your attachments
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 5:20 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• It's possible, as long as both people are on the same page. If one of them has any kind of feelings for the other person, it's a disaster waiting to happen. I've had friends with benefits, and never had a problem though. We'd "help each other out" whenever we weren't in a relationship, and would go back to being just friends whenever we were (or one of us was). Neither one of us was interested in dating the other, but the sex was good, so why not?

Again though, can't have any kind of romantic notions!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:21 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• As long as there is no real romantic attachments, I think they are great!!! Problem is when either person starts seeing things differently.
    wanderingmuse

Answer by wanderingmuse at 5:22 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• It's possible. As long as you both are on the same page.
    simplysavvy

Answer by simplysavvy at 5:25 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I've had one for 17 years now. It's worked out great for us, but I agree with Anouck. Can't harbor any romantic notions at all.
    Anonymous

• It's possible, but very, very difficult. If either side gets feelings, it gets screwed up. And often people go in thinking they won't have any feelings, only to discover at some point that oops, they have feelings now. I did it with a friend of mine years ago. It was fine until we both started developing feelings, but we both knew it couldn't work as more. Confessing to our feelings put a major strain on our friendship for quite a few years. It's actually only since I got together with my SO that my friend and I have gotten back to really being friends and don't feel that awkwardness anymore.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:15 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Yes its possible.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 7:43 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• It's very possible as long as there are no feelings on either side.
    Ms.Maricel

Answer by Ms.Maricel at 6:03 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• been there done that then he began to have more feelings and i had to hurt his i will never again put myself or anyone else thru that
    halo4

Answer by halo4 at 10:25 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I don't think I could do something like that (if i wasn't married.) I tend to get to attached. I think you have to know your own heart..can your heart take being JUST friends?
    madamlinwe

Answer by madamlinwe at 5:39 PM on Mar. 29, 2011