HELP!!! My toddler doesn't listen to me!!!

Example today I had to run somewhere and drop something off in and out of the place. I asked her to stay next to me while I got the baby out of the car and she went off running, I grabbed her before she got far (2"). We got inside the building and she kept touching things I asked her not to touch then took the item out of her hand and put it back. She then proceeded to open a door and I grabbed her hand and told her no well when I grabbed her hand I must have hit it against the knob by accident she got mad at me and ran into the corner of the room and almost knocked over a cardboard billboard bigger than me. I told her to get up and come with me she said no I'm stayig here I then told her I'm leaving and walked out the door. I let the door close and then not even 2 seconds go by I opened the door and told her to get over here now she said no I'm staying here. I walked over and took her by the hand and tried to get her to stand up but she kept kicking out her legs and wouldn't stand up. All this while I'm carrying a car seat with a 8 week old baby. I finally got outside and got down to her level and asked her what was wrong. I also said I was sorry for hurting her finger and that I didn't mean too. She proceeded to scream and cry. I got her in the car and put her on a "timeout". She was told she couldn't talk. How else do you put a kid on timeout? So I could use a little help on how to get a toddler to listen when we are in public. We are in home right now and she is up in her room until dinner and then she is going right back into her room, but I need help when I'm outside the house. I can't live like a hermit because she doesn't listen. She is three right now and I'm told at 4 things start to get better but that is over 7 months away. HELP!!!! I will take whatever suggestions work.

Mom1127-0125

Asked by Mom1127-0125 at 5:54 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yeah my DD is possessed too...lol j/k, but really she's acting THE SAME WAY!
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 5:56 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I'm glad I'm not alone!
    Mom1127-0125

Comment by Mom1127-0125 (original poster) at 5:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I love love love kiddo leashes. I don't care what anyone says, my child is safe and still feels independent...and is a little bit free to roam. My son's has a tiny back pack on it. He keeps a few toys in it. They are too cute.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 6:01 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My daughter used to be the same way. She is currently 3 will be 4 in October. Timeouts are really just to give them time to calm down before you talk to her about what happened. Before we get out of the car no matter where we are I always tell her my expectations and the consequences for not following my rules. At first yes she tested me but I stuck to my "bottom line" and after about 4-5 times she realized what was going to happen and started listening. We do still have a slip up here or there especially now with another baby on the way. I would also let her know that if she sticks to the rules she will recieve a treat for her good behavior. The treat could be anything possibly mommy and daughter time alone without your 8 week old. Or a piece of candy or anything small. Good luck
    crgarcia294

Answer by crgarcia294 at 6:17 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Lay down the law woman LOL. Time outs are great and use them in public! My 2.5 year knows that we ALWAYS hold hands in the parking lot, he is not to run away from me in the stores or I'll put him IN the cart where he will stay. If he throws a fit we have time out right in the middle of the store. They learn fast.

Now, part of not listening is normal. You can't use time out for every little thing, pick your battles.

Look up Super Nanny's Time Out method. It works great for my son!
    Aimers55

Answer by Aimers55 at 6:17 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• as for getting the kids out of the car.. take the baby out first and sit it in the front seat of the side where your dd is then get dd out grab baby and you're on your way.... for touching things I have always told my son not to touch other peoples stuff.. I say "thats not yours do not touch that" I'm not a leash kind of person but I do think they have their place... I wouldn't get a "cutesy" one... the leash isn't IMO supposed to be a reward.. you're buying it to keep your dd safe since she can't mind.... tell her when she can listen to you she won't have to wear the leash... GL!
    k.stark

Answer by k.stark at 6:21 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I like the leash idea too. I know a lot of moms don't but I have seen the kind that are like a vest and they are really helpful. It gives the child some freedom and the mom some sanity. Make her your "big helper" when you are in a store. Ask her to help you find something. Give her a task to do. You might offer some sort of reward too. Something simple. You don't have to do it all the time. And it can even just be a treat of something healthy to eat when you get home........a new snack or such. Make sure she gets one on one time with you and your SO too. Plus praise when she does things right. Sometimes kids go for the negative attention when they do not get enough positive attention. GL!!

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:38 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I don't like the leash idea. I never liked the idea of putting a kid on a leash it just seems cruel but I have tried other things. It's almost like she gets a kick out of being bad. She went straight to her room when we got home and I let her out when it was time for dinner. I just wish there was something I could do to get through to her. I have tried telling her that we are going out and she will be good and if she is good she will get a present. It doesn't work!!! So other than sticking my kid on a leash or laying down the law because quite honestly what kid listens to the law, if yours does please tell me how you do it.
    Mom1127-0125

Comment by Mom1127-0125 (original poster) at 7:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• welcome to the club, lol. i'm going through the same thing. I think my little boy gets a kick out of driving me nuts, lol.
    gummybearmomma

Answer by gummybearmomma at 11:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• my son does the same thing but i only put up with so much till i go up to him and let him know that i'm serious... i don't hit or yell at him till i'm black and blue... but he does know when i mean buisness.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 2:56 AM on Mar. 30, 2011