Starting school at 7?

This is a spin off from another question posted. In my state, kids are not required to start "school" until they're 7 years old. I see both pro's AND con's to this. What are your thoughts?

Renee3K

Asked by Renee3K at 5:55 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• In my state, you don't have to send your child to school until age 8, although most people start their children much younger. Personally, I don't see a problem with a child starting school at age 7, or even 8, because it gives a child a little extra time to just be a child & have fun. Why start the stress process earlier if you don't have to?
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:44 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Well, the con would be that they would be almost 2 year older than their peers. There are some grades where that is no big deal and others where that leaves a HUGE social gap. The pro of graduating at 19 or 20 is they are more mature and possibly better able to handle college. I would rather they start a little late, like my DD who will be almost 6 when she starts due to her birthday. 6 seems good to me.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I think in some cases for some children it can be a good thing and I think letting parents do their job and make decisions in the best interest of their child is a good thing. My daughter has serious speech delays. She is working with the school districts speech therapist (she's 3) and will continue to do so but I think she would be better off if she could wait an extra year to start school. A child who starts out behind will have far more difficulty and is far more likely to underachieve. That extra year or two for some kids might give them what it takes to start out in the right place and have a good school career.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 6:07 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• When I was looking into homeschooling in my state I read something about how it is not required for kids to go to school until 1st grade. But if you choose to wait the kid has to be on track with the other kids. I actually never knew this, everyone knows the preschool is not required. But I think few know that the same rules apply to kindergarten.
    Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 11:52 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• 7 in 1st grade isn't that far off. Some kids end up spending most of that age in 1st simply because of how their birthday falls. Kindergarten isn't required, so it's not holding them back for two years, but one, which a lot of people do based on maturity. If there are good reasons for it, it wouldn't be a problem. I question the parents who do it just in hopes of giving their child an edge in athletics down the road, though (idea being they hit puberty before their peers so get to be the fastest/strongest by default).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:47 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• In my opinion that's a little too old. Being a early childhood professional I know how important early education is and how it can effect children. I also see why some parents would keep kids home that long but I am a firm beleiver children need early interaction even if its in an child care setting.
    crgarcia294

Answer by crgarcia294 at 6:02 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• i didn't know that. my thoughts i don't think i would want to wait that long.
    hairstylist2011

Answer by hairstylist2011 at 6:02 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• It's legally the same way here. But if they are over 5 they are tested to see if they can skip ahead. So as long as you are still teaching them they can start at 7 and go right to first or second grade, and they aren't behind. I couldn't imagine doing it, but if it works for the kid and the family - go for it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:49 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I have started some of my kids in school at 4, some at 5. I think being allowed to wait until they are 7 is good because different kids mature differently and some may not be ready for school until later. For homeschooled kids, I don't see that it makes any difference. We put our kids into school at 4 or 5 but the learning starts at birth and continues informally at home, right through until they leave home. Giving parents options has to be a good thing, although I also agree that the 2 year difference in social skills as well as physical maturity in school years is kind of a big difference.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 1:02 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Kindergarten is NOT a requirement here, but I feel that kindergarten is very important because it teaches the kids the classroom etiquette they need before they go into 1st grade. I feel that, for an average kid, starting school at age 7 is a bit late. I think 5 is the best age, 6 at most because in those early years they learn so much better than they do when they get older. I read a study somewhere that kids who are 5 and under are better able to learn a foreign language than older kids and adults. I know it was true with my DS, he was 4 when he was put into full day Spanish kindergarten in Spain when we were stationed there. He learned Spanish within a few months. of course he's forgotten it now because he didn't use it every day when we moved from Spain (he was 6 when we moved), but it was so much easier for him to learn than it was for my 6 year old and for DH and I! School should not be delayed I don't think.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:10 AM on Mar. 30, 2011