Toddler Speech Therapy

Has anyone's children gone to speech therapy? My son is 2 1/2 and the doc had said he did not qualify for early intervention. I still am concerned with his speech and was just curious if anyone was worried about their toddlers speech also.

mommylovesu28

Asked by mommylovesu28 at 6:06 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have been a daycare provider for 17years, ( and a mom!!!). So many of my kiddos have had mild speech issues. Some have qualified for EI other have not, leaving us to take matters into our own hands. The best site I have found to help with at home speech is called Speechtails (.com). The speech pathologist who created it is a mom and she really "gets" it! I can post questions on her message board and get those answered and I love the tips, games and books she has under recommendations for specific sounds as well as tips to encourage speech for those who seem to be moving along a little slower than the rest. I am currently using the entire program with two of my children and am having great success. Give it a look and good luck!!!! Vikki B , Indiana
    VikkiB88

Answer by VikkiB88 at 10:11 AM on Apr. 4, 2011

• you don't have to listen to what your doctor says. contact the school district and get an evaluation from their professional. If they don't see a serious enough delay to warrant therapy then chances are your child really isn't as behind as you think. sometimes we as parents over worry.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 6:10 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I agree you don't have to go by what your pedi says. You know your child best and if you are that concerned, there's no harm in getting an evaluation. Since your son is under 3 yrs old he would still be eligible for early intervention services if he requires any therapy. You don't need a pediatrician's referral to get an evaluation by early intervention - you can contact them directly yourself. Once he is 3 yrs old, you have to go through the school district to get him evaluated. Good luck!
    patsfan013

Answer by patsfan013 at 6:23 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I agree contact them yourself! They told me my son didnt need speech," they start at their own pace". I'm glad I didnt listen and got it myself because he will be 3 in July and he's been getting speech for 1 1/2 years twice a week and he's still not talking very good! So, if YOU think he needs it then you should definatly look into it! Good luck girl!
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 7:28 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Mom son is 2 1/2 and he is talking pretty good. my nephew is 3 and he can say "no" and maybe 10 other words. no sentences, he won;t even attempt it. the doc said he was fine - doesn't seem fine to me???
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 7:33 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• When I voiced concerns about my then 2 year old's lack of speech, my pediatrician told me he was fine. Turns out he has autism and at 13 still has a limited vocabulary. Please don't listen to your pediatrician, contact early intervention yourself and get an evaluation. Mom's intuition is much better than any doctor!

Answer by missanc at 9:40 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• listen to ur gut. my son just turned 2..he says some words and sounds. I'm not worried about anything...I just keep track of his progress and I do not compare to other children.
    Jazmineamomma

Answer by Jazmineamomma at 12:10 AM on Mar. 30, 2011