Help!!!

I'm also posting this is school-aged kids due to the fact both of my DDs (5 &3) do this. Neither one of them are willing to sleep in their room. They would rather sleep in the recliner or couch in our livingroom. We let them both pick out what bedding they wanted thinking that would help. Dallas picked out Tinkerbelle & Sierra picked out Princess. But they still will not sleep in their bed or in the room at all. How can I transition them from the livingroom to their beds??????

lyvi

Asked by lyvi at 6:16 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well the tough approach would say put them in their rooms and make them stay there. You are the parent you call the shots. Are you letting them watch TV before bedtime or to fall asleep? because that could be part of why they don't want to sleep in their rooms.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 6:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Better than in YOUR room LOL. Wish I had advice. My 2.5 year old sleeps in his room but we are 50/50 on if he wakes up still in the middle of the night for something.
    Aimers55

Answer by Aimers55 at 6:19 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• No TV! Like at all, day or night, they get to watch one princess movie or something along those lines at 3 PM, the rest of the time we are having playing time or something along those lines.
    lyvi

Comment by lyvi (original poster) at 6:21 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Supernanny's "stay in bed" technique. Establish a bed time routine (TV time, bath, story then bed or something along those lines) if you don't already have one in place and tell them what is expected of them. Once it's bed time, tuck them in and leave the room. The first time they get up tell them "It's bed time, honey" and put them back. The second time, say simply "It's bed time" and put them back. The third time on, you say nothing and put them back. It may be a long process and you may not get either of them to sleep until late at night but it's proven to work. Just don't give in and eventually, they'll get the picture and go to sleep on their own. Also, don't yield to any requests like "I want water" or "will you lay with me?" They may cry and scream sometimes but as long as you know they're safe you can't acknowledge it because at that point, they don't care if it's positive or negative, they just want attention.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 6:28 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Tell them they can have a special night of the week that they are allowed to sleep other then in their beds(like camping out) otherwise they need to be in their bed; keep consistent.

Have you asked them why they won't sleep in their rooms? That might sound silly, but my 4 yo has a habit of getting up in the middle of the night and crawls into bed with me. I ask him what's wrong and he tells me (usually it's there is a monster). I tell him that I will go with him back to his room and check to see if the monster is still there. then I tuck him in, give him a kiss and tell him we will see him in the morning. Sometimes we let our boys fall asleep where ever and then move them to their rooms.

I would NOT allow a TV in their rooms that is more of a distraction and isn't healthy either(this comes straight from my pediatrician)
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:38 PM on May. 21, 2011