Help! my guinea pig is lazy!

most guinea pigs are active and social, but not my zeus. they're supposed to like being outdoors so i bought him this huge play fence that's actually made for kids. i put him in there and he just sits in a corner. he gets fatter and fatter everyday because he refuses to get even a little bit of exercise.

TiffanieK

Asked by TiffanieK at 6:22 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Pets

• From what I understand, guinea pigs are very social animals, maybe he's just depressed? Would it be possible for you to get him a playmate?

By the way, LOVE the name Zeus, heh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:24 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• i don't think i can get him a friend. my daughter and i live with my mother and it was all i could do to convince them to let her have this one. the only time he gets excited is when i give him fresh fruits or veggies.
    TiffanieK

Comment by TiffanieK (original poster) at 6:29 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• He does sound like he needs a buddy. I have 9 pigs. Want one? (kidding). If he is outside, he might be scared and go into prey mode where he thinks he is invisible to ward off predators. Some of my guinea pigs do that when I take them outside or put them on the floor for their floor time. If he is inside, same thing. It's a different environment for him. It's more open than his cage and he's not used to that much space.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:38 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• so how do i get him used to being in the bigger space? i've tried to let him have room to run around since i got him.
    TiffanieK

Comment by TiffanieK (original poster) at 6:40 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My experience is the same as what others have said- they are more active with company. We've always had them in pairs and most of the activity comes from them chasing each other around. When one of our original pair passed away, our remaining pig was much more subdued until we got her a new friend- then she perked right back up and wore herself out trying to keep up with a two month old piglet!
    If getting a friend is out of the question, I would try giving floor time- if you want to give some incentive to move around, scatter treats for him about the play space. How big is the cage he is in? A big cage with room to run in (if you don't already have one) could give him more room to move about where he feels safer.
    How old is he? They do slow down with age. Junior pig Sundae (almost 1) still runs laps in free play, but big sis Linney (2.5) sees no point in running in circles anymore!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:10 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Maybe he's depressed? Maybe getting him a play mate would help
    KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 1:35 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I agree with KateShesGreat3 - Zeus needs another GP, they are very social.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:11 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• my guinea pigs are lazy too and I have all kinds of things for them to play with they are just lazy i guess
    miranda2011

Answer by miranda2011 at 10:19 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• My guinea pig is so lazy and fat he doesn't even fit in his house anymore :)
    goddess99

Answer by goddess99 at 12:59 AM on Apr. 11, 2011