Why have parents become so anti tv?

I'm not talking about any particular kind of content. We all know there are good and bad movies and television out there. and we all have the ability to screen as much or as little as we want to. But I've noticed a lot of moms don't want their kids watching any tv at all.

To each their own I'm not judging here just curious about your feelings on your children watching tv/movies and why you feel that way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:28 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• My kids are allowed to watch tv...but we limit it...and also screen the shows they're watching.

I think the moms who say "no TV" are the ones who don't have kids old enough to care yet, lol. Just like the moms that say "no junk food". There are a FEW exceptions, but that's what I've gathered over the years.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 6:30 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I don't mind if my kids watch tv. They choose to not watch much of it. I would be more strict if my kids were couch potatoes but they probably only watch 2 hours a week total and they are 6 and 8.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 6:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My daughter is 16 and she's watched tv since she was little. I don't mind as long as she doesn't stay in her room all day long staring at it.
    mybabygirlkris

Answer by mybabygirlkris at 6:33 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I agree I've always felt that moderation is what it's about. When I was young I loved to play outside and use my imagination. But I watched some tv too. A movie or a few shows and I turned out just fine :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:34 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• i think when you use the tv as your babysitter all day everyday there's a problem. i don't mind my kids watching tv but i would rather be outside doing things that exercise their body and help them stay healthy.

whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 6:34 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My son is only 19 months old and he is allowed to watch tv. We don't have to worry about what he watches because he will only watch Nick Jr and some Disney. I don't at all mind it because it seems to have taught him alot.
    tiffanynichols

Answer by tiffanynichols at 6:34 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• There have been links to ADD when a child begins watching tv at an early age. There are also links to obesity when children begin watching TV at an early age. Just a thought...
    swmmra

Answer by swmmra at 6:35 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• We no longer have a tv cause it was not being used. I never watched much tv and my son did not take to it cause he did not see us watching it much. We use our laptops to watch dvds, but mostly find other things to do at home or outside the home so having a tv is not something we need.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:35 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I let him watch it. whenever and how ever much he wants..From like Nov. to April its never more than 15 degrees here..and so playing outside never works. Hes not obese and not even close to bein it. He plays and runs around the house all day on top of watching TV. Hes not a zombie.

Plus at 2.5 years old he can count to TEN!. and as a parent here..i kno about 80% of 2-3 yr olds cant do that here..so I know him watching Dora and Diego has taught him to count and everything else. I believe its good for him. I help him and play and teach him things..but he seems to learn faster with Dora..so we watch it together and repeat some of the things they do
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 6:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I allow my son to watch TV but do not allow the TV to be his babysitter. It's only Sprout or an age appropriate movie and we limit how much he watches. He only really wants to watch when he's poorly anyway and then we set him up on the couch with blanket and pillows and let him watch between his frequent "feel better naps" which he takes on his own.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 6:38 PM on Mar. 29, 2011