My two year old hardly eats!!

My son has lately decided he doesn't want to eat much anymore. He will eat either a teeny tiny bowl of cereal, a nutri grain bar or eggs (he had 1 1/2 scrambled eggs this morning) and doesn't eat anything until dinner and then he won't eat much of his dinner then either. He doesn't act hungry and I've tried everything to get him to eat but he has no desire. Is this a phase or something I should really be concerned about? He has a normal sleeping habit, he's very active during the day and he is drinking a normal amount of fluids.

CassiRae3

Asked by CassiRae3 at 6:33 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like a phase. My kids will eat their own shoes right before they hit a growth spurt. Then, as they actually start growing overnight they hardly eat anything. They do the whole chunk out-shoot up thing.

Remember too, his stomach is only the size of his fist.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:51 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• It's probably a phase, my son is 3 and he will go through phases where he eats constantly and then he will hardly eat at all. Just continue to offer foods, as long as he is taking in fluids and acting as normal I wouldn't be too concerned but you can always ask the doctor.
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 6:38 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My boys are the same way. My youngest barely eats.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:35 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My nephew has this as well. His has actually been diagnosed as a lack of a desire to eat. He is 4 years old and still weighs about 30 lbs. They have needed to use meal replacement drinks to make sure that he keeps his weight up. Yes, this is something to be concerned about, but I would talk to your Dr about it before getting overly concerned. My hephew doesn't even feel the desire of hunger. He will eat, and when he eats he gets praised. But it doesn't happen often. I would talk to my peds dr before making any extreme decisions regarding his food intake.
    swmmra

Answer by swmmra at 6:39 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Thank you for the responses. I will continue what I'm doing and I'm sure he's fine :)
    CassiRae3

Comment by CassiRae3 (original poster) at 6:39 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I don't think it's anything that extreme. He did like to eat and all the sudden he seems to have changed his mind and is eating a lot less than he wanted to a few months ago. I think I'm going to see how he does for a few weeks and if he is still acting like this, I'll contact our doctor. They didnt seem concerned with his weight earlier this month for his 2 yr old check up.
    CassiRae3

Comment by CassiRae3 (original poster) at 6:42 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I was reading out loud your question and my daughter replies mommy I eat everything, we are laughing my husband and I. What I did was just keeping trying even things they do not like. Good Luck.
    Anonymous

• If your dr isnb't concerned with the weight then I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure that you are keeping an eye on him and if there is a concern take him back to your dr.
    swmmra

Answer by swmmra at 6:47 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• my daughter was the same way at 2. she's 3 now and much better about eating. i talked to the doctor about this and she told me that as long as she has an occasional day when she wants to eat a lot then it's fine. also, make sure you give him food before you give him drink. only let him have one cup of juice a day and only 16oz of milk. you can do the first with a bowl of cereal in the morning and the second after dinner. the rest of the day give him nothing but water so that he can't fill up on empty calories instead of eating food.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 6:52 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My two and a half year old is the same way, he only weighs 25 lbs.....he has been in the 10th percentile since birth. He just refuses to eat. And this has been for a year at least
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 7:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2011