Revival season

It happens twice a year, in spring, like right now, and mid to late December. People who spent all year being busy, self-focused and indifferent suddenly get hit with nostalgia, and start going back to church. For a month or so, they'll be fervent believers, on a mission to save everyone they meet, even if it kills them. Then after about six weeks, they get over it, go back to their lives, and leave the full time believers there to clean up their messes.

Would the faith be better served to purposely encourage people not to proselytize in December and April to mitigate the damage done by the part-timers? Sell it as remembering the reason for the seasons, which is the dude with the hammer, not the innocent bystander in the next cubicle. Do you think the face of Christianity looks better or worse when the Christmas and Easter crew come back from hiatus?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 6:34 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I think far more is done by those who act like they are superior Christians for whatever the reason.
    Anonymous

• When was it decided that revivals were for the lazy, or preoccupied Christians? And more specifically, what damage are you referencing?
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 6:38 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• And more specifically, what damage are you referencing?

The damage where people suddenly get the urge to spread the word and run out like chickens with their heads cut off, degrading, preaching at, judging and condemning everyone they see without even getting to know them, or even determine if they're already Christian or not. They'll fervently tell everyone they're going to hell, doing it wrong, being too immoral and inconsiderate of "normal" people (by which they mean straight Christians). Then after 6 weeks, they lose interest, disappear, and the normal adherents who are there every day, year round, are stuck doing clean up for all the damage their collective reputation has taken. For an example, see the recent invasion of ALL CAPS QUESTIONS THAT BECOME VIOLENT WHEN YOU TELL THEM NOT EVERYONE HAS TO BE A CHRISTIAN OR WANTS TO BE.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 6:41 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• NP, I wouldn't know the answer to this then. I don't attend a church that promotes "spreading the word and running out like chickens with their heads cut off, degrading, preaching at, judging and condemning everyone they see without even getting to know them, or even determine if they're already Christian or not. They'll fervently tell everyone they're going to hell, doing it wrong, being too immoral and inconsiderate of "normal" people (by which they mean straight Christians)".

I don't think it matters if it's "revivial season" or not.  I see this year round from other Christians (mostly on Cafemom).

Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 6:45 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Do you think the face of Christianity looks better or worse when the Christmas and Easter crew come back from hiatus?

I'd say worse.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:47 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I've never noticed any more evangelizing around the holidays than any other time. I figure that for every group of Easter Lilies or Pontsettia that comes back for the holiday seasons only to leave, there are a few that stay.  And that is a good thing.  Besides, my church isn't much into herding the errant any time of year. 

adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 6:54 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• An yet Renee... There are hordes of real life fundies who do just that. Their numbers grow every year as the "sunday christian" population either converts, or stops believing. It's not just a smattering.

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• i guess coming from a persecuted non-xtian's point of view, it may seem so. but from my point of view (a fulltimer), the parttimers aren't nearly as busy saving souls during said seasons as they are shopping for that perfect Sunday outfit for themselves and their little ones the day before Easter Sunday and Christmas Eve Midnight Mass. its all about appearances when they darken the church door twice a year.

yep, i said it.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• – collapse

NP maybe it isn't a "revival" that you are seeing but a disgust you have for Christians that have taken these holidays with pagan origin and turned them into the focus of their Christian beliefs.

ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 7:01 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• Obby, I'm not sure exactly what your issue is with me lately. I never said groups didn't DO those things. I said that the church I go to doesn't.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 7:01 PM on Mar. 29, 2011