Are you in a blended family? Is it what you expected?

JoyIsAnAttitude

Asked by JoyIsAnAttitude at 6:40 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• yes, I am in a blended family. I married into a family where my husbands oldest just turned 14 and his youngest just turned 2. Yes, I know that this is a big age difference. My husband and I dated for almost 2 years before we got married. We decided to do this because we both knew that coming into a family where there were already children is hard enough. To make it even more difficult, my step son has bipolar disorder. So we both wanted to make sure that his son and I were going to get along. Marrying into a family when there are already children there is difficult, but if you take the time to make sure that you are going to be a good fit into the family then it can work out. My suggestion is to please take your time, do not push it. There are some difficulties that I have to overcome on a daily basis, but it was worth it. I love my husband and his 2 children.
    swmmra

Answer by swmmra at 6:45 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Yes, I am part of a blended family and in no way is it what I would have expected. It is a daily struggle in one way or the other. There is the ex to deal with, there is authority issues, scheduling issues, issues at the holidays, etc. You can't even plan something for the weekend without checking with a bunch of people. Then there are the arguements, the resentments and hurt feelings that come along as well. Not to mention everyone's baggage, even the kids. If I knew then what I know now, I probably would have said Oh, No, this is not for me. I would suggest to anyone to think very long and hard if presented with the same situation. It is a huge commitment.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 6:47 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Yes! my fiance has a daughter (he never sees her though because his EX won't let him so he is going to fight for custody!) and i have a son, so when we get married we are going to be one big happy family!! =)
    Rydersmom95

Answer by Rydersmom95 at 6:56 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I'm not currently but was. I love my step son. I still get him on occasion even though hi dad and I haven't been together for 2 yrs. I always treated him as if he were my own. Funny his mom and I still speak weekly and I have no contact with my x.
    BalooSkii

Answer by BalooSkii at 7:02 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• yes... i have an almost-three year old whose father is not in her life in any way, and my so has a ten year old son by an awesome lady and a five year old daughter by a hag. it's not what i expected, but i adore his kids, who we have on weekends whenever possible (ie baby mama #2 isn't being a nut) and he is incredible with my daughter. i can't wait for the day we have a big house with all our kids and hopefully one of "our own" lol... between the two of us.
    shilohsmama425

Answer by shilohsmama425 at 7:07 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I've been married 3 years. But I've known my DH since I was in High School. We've both been married previously and had our boys (3 of mine, one of his) left to raise when we married 3 years ago. We dated 2 years before we got married You'd think since we are both great parents, and "older" we would be wiser. Working as a "team" is harder said than done. It's been very character building for me to say the least! :o)
    JoyIsAnAttitude

Comment by JoyIsAnAttitude (original poster) at 7:39 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Yes, my DF has a son from his ex wife who is 3 but I have been the only mom he has known since he was 1, and we also have a 4 month old.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 8:12 PM on Mar. 29, 2011