Do you ever feel TOO blessed?

My family has been through a lot in the last year, but so far nothing we can't overcome. When I see what others are dealing with, I'm reminded just how blessed we are, and I can't help but feel a little guilty. Has anyone else ever felt this way? Does that even make sense?

lytate95

Asked by lytate95 at 6:41 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, I don't feel guilty over the good things in my life, anymore than I feel slighted because of the bad
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 6:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I think you are talking about perspective- keeping things in perspective is a good thing no matter if you call it blessings or something else-

My son was just talking about this while watching a special on Haiti- he said, you know Mom- those people are no different than me, they just happen to be born in such a difficult place- made him understand that sometimes its just a matter of where you were born that is something to be thankful about-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 7:07 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I may be misinterpreting you, but yes, I do feel too blessed. I have made mostly decent decisions in life- no drugs, good grades, worked hard in my job and got promoted a lot- that kind of things. But I am pretty lazy, I have had a TON of stuff handed to me, and have done bad stuff, yet I see all these deserving people suffering horrible things- cancers, infertility, poverty- that never touch me.

Now, it seems to me that if the world were fair, they would be happy and terrible things would happen to me. Part of me hopes they will (but not to my family) Yet, things keep getting better an dbetter. I have 3 great kids, a nice house. Knock wood, so far we are riding out the recession OK.

I feel terrible and guilty and like I'm stealing from more deserving people, who could have all this great stuff. I am thankful, I do enjoy it most of the time, but it's just the guilt. And I have no idea how to deal with it.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 7:27 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Too blessed, no. Fortunate, yes. I am not sure if I consider fortunate to be blessed though. We have had a lot happen in the last few mos. inclduing losing our home, just about all of our belongs & 1 of our 5 dogs in a fire but I know that no matter what there's someone else who has it worse than we do. Nothing is as bad it seems and if you look close enough you can see what in your situation makes you fortunate. We lost our home and most of belongings but 70% of our treasures were salvaged & we have really awesome insurance so we are able to get our home rebuilt (and it will be even better than the home we had) and all of our belongings like clothes, appliances, electronics, etc. are being replaced. We lost one of our dogs but the other 4 survived and no human lives were lost. Fires claim lives every day....recently a family lost 7 of their 8 children in PA....so in that we are fortunate. It could be worse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• yes it makes sense i feel this way so much when others are complaining about whats going on in there life. I just thank God for everything he does for my family and all the prayers he answers!
    his88angel

Answer by his88angel at 6:45 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• It makes perfect sense. Recently I was reading a scripture about being surrounded by the mercy of God, mercy is translated favor. When you are surrounded by the favor of God we will not be consumed by the stress of everyday life.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 6:47 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• lol. Not recently. Feel free to send some blessings my way. I could really use one. I know things could be worse but right now I am really worried about where my family is going to be in a few months if I don;t find a job or DH doesn't find a better one. We are in a lot of trouble.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:48 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• No I never feel too blessed.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:50 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• All the time...and I'm thankful for it.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 6:51 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Yes but mainly when it comes to people who are in situations they have no power to change. I think a lot of our problems in america we bring on ourselves or could have avoided with different choices. Not saying I don't still sympathize for anyone in a tough spot but my heart really hurts for children who are abused or starving. Especially in 3rd world countries. Or those who live in nations where they don't even have freedom or democracy.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 6:53 PM on Mar. 29, 2011