When did your kids

When did your children start helping you with cooking and around the house? My SD is 5 on Friday and we are teaching her how to help set the table and clear the table as well as mixing things together when we are cooking in the kitchen.

annabelle092810

Asked by annabelle092810 at 6:55 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• I started letting my daughter help with cooking things when she was 2. She'd help pour stuff that I measured or dump things into bowls or stir food that was in bowls. My now 21 month old helps out too doing those type of things. My oldest daughter who's now 5 will measure ingredients and let her little sister pour them in the bowl.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 7:36 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Whenever my kids (2 and 4) see me doing house work, they usually drop what they are doing and help me. They try to help me with cooking, and I am slowly teaching them the safety of cooking.
    Ms.Maricel

Answer by Ms.Maricel at 6:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• At five my son and daughter helped me dust, pair socks, even cook, well they'd open the seasonings and id have thhem measure and put in pots. Best thing I ever did ...right now I'm doing laundry and my daughter is cooking our entire dinner (rice, beans; chicken) - she is 12.
    BalooSkii

Answer by BalooSkii at 6:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• About 3 1/2. He's always wanted to help mommy in the kitchen and to be honest, he can crack an egg better than me. LOL He loves to help with dishes, putting things away, pretty much anything I'm doing atm.
    His only 'chore' is to make sure the dining room chairs are pushed in and that he brings his plate to the kitchen.
    paper_clip

Answer by paper_clip at 6:59 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• my kids are 6 and 4 1/2. they are responsible for their laundry making it to the basket and keeping their (very large) playroom organized & clean. but cooking is a fun/occasional thing. they love to crack eggs and stuff but I've never had them set a table.... I guess by the time the table is ready to be set I have hot pans and things I don't want them to be around. they've been casually cooking/stirring for as long as I can remember
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:59 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• DS is 6 and has motor delays and I ventures to let him cut the vegetables with help this evening. It was scary but he loved it! At around 3 they were involved with stirring and meal planning but for the most part I do it all.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:04 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• cooking about age 3 - he went to montessori and they would do it in school so he knew the rules already. and my mil started him on cleaning about age 4.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 7:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My 2 1/2 year old loves to vacuum, and he does a pretty good job, too! As for the kitchen... Not so much. He's just too rowdy, but he'll "cook" entire meals at his play kitchen, heh. His dad used to work as a chef, so he never seems to cook anything simple enough for my son to help.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:13 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My son is 3 and he helps all the time.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 10:01 PM on Mar. 29, 2011