If your baby was breech, did you go into labor on your own or have a planned c-section?

Just wondering if there's any chance of going into labor while she's breech. I'm 35 weeks (tomorrow, actually) and think I'm feeling a few contractions but the way my OB described it, I likely won't go into labor as long as her butt is down because they typically use their heads to press down and get labor going. Any thoughts?

EwansMommy

Asked by EwansMommy at 7:29 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• My oldest was breech and I went into labor naturally when my water broke.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:01 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Up until just a few years ago it was always a vaginal birth- very, very, very insignificantly few breech presentations warrant a c-section... which, BTW, they can't do unless YOU consent.
    I would *NEVER* allow a c-section for a breech. Period. My 3rd would have been born breech- he turned in the last week. I had planned on birthing breech.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:38 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I had a c-section with my first, and my current one was breech at 36 weeks. My doctors advised against me having a VBAC if he was still breech (because of the previous c-section), so I chose to have an external cephalic version done, where they try to turn him by rotating him from the outside, basically. Thankfully, it worked, so I'm still scheduled for a VBAC at this point.

However, ObbyDobbie is right, it IS possible to deliver vaginally even with the baby being breech...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:49 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I understand that it's possible in most situations, however (and I should've mentioned this) she is almost sideways in my very tilted uterus. Her head is literally on my right side, but in the middle and my OB is going to do a thorough scan Friday to see if they can tell if the cord is around her neck.
    While I respect your decision to have the ECV, we have gone back and forth, weighed the risks and that is the only thing we won't and haven't tried. I've been to the chiropractor for the Webster technique and tried everything under the sun on our own to turn her. In fact, I can't get the water out of my ears from doing so many summersaults and handstands in the pool last night. ;-)
    At any rate, we're at peace with the possibility of a planned c-section but are still hoping and praying she'll turn so we can go through withour natural birth plan. I'm just looking for stories of those who've gone into labor while breech.
    EwansMommy

Comment by EwansMommy (original poster) at 7:56 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• At 35 weeks I would not be worried about her still being breech for the birth. My son was breech up until the day before he was born and he was 10 days early. We did everything we could to get him to turn and the day he was born I had an appontment with my midife to try to manually turn him. He was butt first breech and she was perfectly fine with letting me try to deliver him vaginally if I so choose and that was my choice. Butt first breech is fairly safe to deliver vaginally, but feet first is more difficult and not quite as safe. Both are doable though and the doctor's don't LET you do anything YOU let them do things to you. It is not thepressing down of anything that gets labor going rather your hormones telling your body to start having active contractions. It is very common at 35 weeks to have braxton hicks contractions so if they are not regular and go away if you sit down then that is likely what they are.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Ladies, I am not trying to get out of our birth plan. You don't have to talk me into natural labor, that is already our plan and I am very much looking forward to it. lol I know the risks and have done a ton of research.
    I'm simply looking for those who've gone into labor on their own with a breech baby. Maybe I'm not making myself clear, here. Which is possible given my severe case of pregnancy brain, these days. lol
    EwansMommy

Comment by EwansMommy (original poster) at 8:03 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Thank you elizabr! That's all I wanted to know! My OB made it sound like it was next to impossible for me to go into labor with a breech baby and I just wanted to reassurance that it does happen. ;-)
    EwansMommy

Comment by EwansMommy (original poster) at 8:04 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• *some reassurance, not to.
    EwansMommy

Comment by EwansMommy (original poster) at 8:06 PM on Mar. 29, 2011