Busted??

Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., a member of the Democratic Senate leadership, got on a conference call with reporters Tuesday morning without realizing the reporters were already listening in. Schumer thought he was on a private line with four Democratic senators who were to talk with reporters about the current budget stalemate.

Schumer instructed the group, made up of Sens. Barbara Boxer of California, Tom Carper of Delaware, Ben Cardin of Maryland and Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut, to tell reporters that the GOP is refusing to negotiate.

He told the group to make sure they label the GOP spending cuts as "extreme."

"I always use extreme, Schumer said. "That is what the caucus instructed me to use."

Someone must have finally told Schumer that the media were listening and he stopped talking midsentence.

Here's a bit more of what he said about House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, according to my notes.

"The main thrust is basically that we want to negotiate and we want to come up with a compromise but the Tea Party is pulling Boehner too far over to the right and so far over that there is no more fruitful negotiations," Schumer said on the call. "The only way we can avoid a shutdown is for Boehner to come up with a reasonable compromise and not just listen to what the Tea Party wants. "

http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2011/03/schumer-coordinates-dem-budget-attack-gop#ixzz1I2Bc66Mh

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 7:29 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• LOL..Sounds like Schumer is trying to be the new Ezra Klein of Journ-O-list fame!! FAIL!!!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704103904575337002190061586.html

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:45 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• LOL That was so funny. More truth about Democrats leaks out.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:33 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Good for them! It IS the truth,after all, about the Republican cuts being EXTREME. Bunch of cheap, selfish , greedy people who want to keep all the money at the top and let the middle class and lower class die off.

Can you say, "Alinshy tactic number 5. "Ridicule is man's most potent weapon." You learned your lesson well, young grasshopper. 

So, minnisota-mean, I guess you would rather steal what belongs to people than have people earn their money? 

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:49 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Ha ha..I hope he likes eggs. I wonder if the is a big f#%^ing deal??

All I have got to say is the GOP better be listening to what the Tea Party peeps have to say or some of them will be in the unemployment line in the not too distant future.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Honey, Obama is the one who is quickly eliminating the middle class
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:43 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• HMMMMMM........I am not fond of Schumer anyway. Too bad he was warned that the reporters were listening. It would have been interesting to see how much more he would have said......LOL
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 8:11 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I agree, ysk. They'd better be listening to the Tea Party people.

I turned on the TV this evening; the kids had been watching PBS, so the news was on. Reid (?) was blathering about how the Tea Party would be responsible if the government shut down after this current extension, that the Republicans had to give in and understand that it was about keeping things running, it was about jobs, etc.

Serious cuts have to be made. We are broke. Stop trying to play the blame game. Man up and do the job that has to be done.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:36 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Waiting to see who tries to deflect and bring up what a Repub did and not address what Schumer did.

I am not shocked by it at all. Dems have to scramble and try to assign all blame to Repubs even though Repubs still don't have that much power right now.lol
    Anonymous

• Oh, I forgot. Finally, some transparency! I've been waiting, and waiting, and waiting. Who would have believed it would be Schumer. Isn't he the one who named the 3 branches of gov't - the Congress, the Senate, and the president!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG0Jpu9geWY

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:52 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• There is nothing in the Schummer statements listed above that hasn't been part of the platform since these budget debated began.

What's the bombshell?
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 8:53 PM on Mar. 29, 2011