Does anyone have a Daughter in Law? That hates you and keeping Grandchildren away from you?

dancingcactus

Asked by dancingcactus at 7:20 PM on Jul. 9, 2008 in General Parenting

• I am that DIL but I only keep my son and the future child away from my husbands father and I have solid reasons as too why, I am happy to email you and let you know why if your interested!
    JustinScottsMom

Answer by JustinScottsMom at 7:29 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• My mom is like that to my grandmother with my younger sister. She will only let my dad pick her up and if my grandmother wants to do anything with her he HAS to be there, no questions asked. She does this because she knows that my grandmother talks down on her all the time and tries to covince us that she is a bad mother.
    HisNightshade

Answer by HisNightshade at 8:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• My MIL is a trip, but I would never keep the grandchildren away from her, have you done something to upset your DIL? You know how you MILs can be!
    Anonymous

• I keep my dd away from my mil because shes just not capable of taking care of her. My dd is 8 weeks old, and 2 weeks ago when mil saw her, she tried to feed her bean soup!!!! My dd also has super bad reflux and cannot be layed flat ever. My mil doesnt seem to get it even though weve told her repetedly. She also tries to take my dd from me whenever she cries and i cant stand it!!!!
    becca2715

Answer by becca2715 at 8:47 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I would be that DIL! Things were fine and great before the kids...when the kids got her she did things that really upset me. For example: Her, I and the baby would be in her living room, she's holding the baby, who would start to fuss, and then would go track down my hubby to help her when I was right there in the room with her. Or I would have a cup of coffee and she would take my baby way from me so I wouldn't burn him.

I had enough and couldn't go over anymore...not when she made me feel like that.... DH and I tried talking to her, but it blew up..and now we just don't see her unless it's holidays.

As the years have passed we've tried to have a relationship with her again, but she doesn't want anything to do with us. She's not a bad person, she just made me feel like I didn't know how to be a mother..and as a newbie mother I wanted more support..not treated the way I was treated.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:09 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Not daughter law yet. She a drama queen and mean.I just keep my distance now he is just a baby.It will be better when he can ask to see us.
    Iraisedthem

Answer by Iraisedthem at 9:12 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I am that DIL and I'm not necessarily keeping the kids away...it's just how things work out. MIL has tried diagnosing my child with ADD even though she hadn't seen him in a couple of months and he's only 20 months old. She also expects me to pretty much shelter the children like she did with hers.
    Maybe you should try talking with your son and maybe there is a misunderstanding between you and your DIL. I would love if our family tried talking things out...much easier to tell the rest of the family what's wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I was a DIL & I am keeping my son away from his grandmother. My husband killed himself when our son was 1 & over the last 10 years she has done nothing but created drama & turmoil for us. I have spent the last 10 yrs telling my son how great his daddy was, things he liked to do, etc. & she goes behind my back & tells him that it was my fault he did it, I have been dating someone for almost 2 yrs now & she tells my son that he doesn't have to do anything he asks that kind of crap. She has started this rumor that my neice is pregnant by my BF. Just a bunch of freaking BS. It all boils down to that her son is not here & she blames me for it. I can deal with her wanting to blame me for it, but don't put my son in the middle of this. I'm doing the best I can with what I have & my son to this point I feel is very good, smart, well rounded child. But everytime he comes home from her he is mean, out right nasty, defiant, etc. So for these reasons I have stopped him from going over there.
    HelenStoner

Answer by HelenStoner at 12:22 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I have tried hundreds of times talking to her but she is in her own little world & nothing gets through. You should try talking to her calmly & tell her how you feel & ask why she won't allow you to see the children. Have you mentioned this to your son?? You can talk to him & maybe he can talk to your DIL & hopefully resolve some of it. But I really think talking with her is the best option.
    HelenStoner

Answer by HelenStoner at 12:24 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I have a mother in law that calls me a bitch and a monster. And will always hate me. She apologised to my face and then told her youngest so who told his dad who told me she blames me for the fight she had with me and says its all my fault. And I still allow her t o see Lilike, she saved photos of my computer, she bought a card she said to take pictures of my computer, gave her every copy of every photo that exists and all the best expensive ones my mom did not get. I took photos of her making Lilike smile and filmed her with Lilike. Come over and stay all Christmas Day, She is the only person Lilike would play with all day not even mommy. Whilst my mom was banned from seeing her grandaughter Lilike Christmas Day. When she had no other grandchildren. And she even was made to miss her Grandaughters 2nd birthday. Because she was banned not by me but by my man because my mom called him a name.
    sylviessweeties

Answer by sylviessweeties at 2:11 AM on Jan. 3, 2009