At my witts end...need help!!!!!

My children used to eat anything put in front of them and used to be so well behaved, now with no changes in their lives except starting preschool and Kindergarten, they have now become very defiant; they refuse to eat anything that is put in front of them unless it is junk, they refuse to pick up after themselves in wich they both have been doing since they were old enough to understand (about the time they learned to crawl) and they won't listen to a thing that Mommy and Daddy have to say. They have huge attitudes and smart mouths.

Please help! Does anyone have any sure fire ways to nip this in the bud NOW?
We have tried time outs, earlier bed times, taking away toys, tv and everything else they enjoy along with snacks (because they refuse to eat FOOD), we have tried rewarding for the good behavior when they do decide to use it...we are at our witts end...please help! Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

MamaCortney

Asked by MamaCortney at 7:31 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• I know it's frustrating but be consistant on the punishments. It sounds like you're using the right tools just keep on doing it. Get more strict if you have to. Take things away from them for a week. Take all the junk food out of the house and tell them if they don't eat what you make for them than they will go hungry. I know it's tough, but just try to stay consistant. Best of luck!
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 7:35 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Quick! Call Super Nanny! lol- sorry- thought you could use a laugh. Sounds like they have learned more than the 3 R's at school! They learned the 4th & 5th "R"- Rude & Rambunctous! It sounds like you are doing what you are supposed to be doing. As long as you are conistent, they will get the message that you will not put up w/ their crap! I started a behavior chart for my dau 2 yrs ago, & she is 9 y/o now. Since starting it, she has earned 105 good (smiley face) weeks, and 24 (straight face) (0- sad faces)! We keep track daily & weekly. Every 5 good weeks she earns a shopping trip to pick out a prize. Not sure if that would work for the preschooler, but you could give it a shot. Lots of luck to you! Keep us posted on how things are going. :) (*Hang in there mama- it's almost bedtime!)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:41 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Go back to your standard of them eating what is put in front of them. Get rid of the junk food. Post the rules of the house and let them clearly know that nothing fun is allowed until the rules are followed. Check up on thm to see to it that everything is done. Take all the anger out of the situation and be matter of fact....plain and simple. It will be a difficult adjustment but shouldn't take too long if they realize you mean business. Plus praise them when they do things right. Make sure they get individual attention too. Sometimes they go for the negative attention when they do not get enough positive attention. GL

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:44 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• When it comes to eating I've always told my children that they have to at least try what I make and if they don't like it fine they dont have to eat it. That being said - I also inform them that I will not be making them an additional meal and they are free to excuse themselves and get ready for bed. Having a child go to bed hungry once in a while will not kill them. As for the cleaning up - i have made it clear to all that if toys etc. are not cleaned up before bed each night that whatever is left out will go in the garbage. Once they start missing a few cherished things they learn pretty quick. And you dont actually have to put the things in the garbage - just a garbage bag and hide it til they get the picture. Hope this helps!
    GinaL1970

Answer by GinaL1970 at 7:52 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• First of all, stick to your guns. Be firm and consistant. If you waver or waffle, they will use it to their advantage.
    Second, take snacks out of the eating equation. Kids will always hold out for junk food if it's an option.

Good luck!
    Philyra

Answer by Philyra at 8:01 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Thanks ladies...I will take everyones advice and put it to good use and will keep posting updates on OUR progress on my profile and at http://www.cortneyfitch.blog.com thanks again!
    MamaCortney

Comment by MamaCortney (original poster) at 8:06 PM on Mar. 29, 2011