How do people make a blended family work without killing each other?

I have 2 teenage daughters - my partner has an 11 yo daughter and a 9 yo son. Joe is a very permissive parent - doesnt supervise his children much and allows WAY to much TV time. His 11 yo is going into the 6th grade this fall and has the mental maturity of a 5 yo. Joes son is borderline autistic. There are no boundaries, consistency, or rules with them and when I try to establish some he becomes angry and argues with me in front of his kids. I've asked for that to stop and it hasnt. Neither of his kids even know how to BATHE themselves and they are driving me nuts. We only have his kids on weekends and Joe seems to spend all of his time on the couch and computer with hardly interaction with them. I've suggested him doing things with them but that never happens. Joe's kids dig in my daughter's things and take stuff and when he's told he does nothing about it. None of the kids get along and the younger ones refuse to listen to anyone. How do I deal with this? It's gotten to the point where things need to change or Joe and his kids move out. HELP!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:45 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think you might have answered your own question. If this has been going on for a long time, and you have talked about it several times, I think you should reconsider why you want to be in this situation. It isn't fair to you or your kids. hug
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:53 PM on Mar. 29, 2011