How to stop the yelling?

My 2 and a half year old son yells at us when we tell him no! It drives us crazy... How do I get him to stop yelling at me and my boyfriend?

Any advice is very much appreciated!

babyowens081208

Asked by babyowens081208 at 7:56 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Punish him EVERY time he dares to raise his voice to you! Time outs are popular- so let's go w/ that! -lol (Sorry, I just watched some Bernie Mac reruns- so I have other ideas in my head right now- lol) And when I say EVERY time, I mean it. You have to stay consistent & show 'em who's boss! Always! GL! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:59 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My son has recently started yelling at us but usually its when we got through a drive thru to pick up a meal...he will scream that is mine give it to me...its frustrating. I don't know what to tell you on how to stop it other than to talk calmly when he does it and remind him that its not nice to yell like this. Good luck
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 8:00 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My 2 yr old is doing it, too - considering that I have 4 kids older than her, I sure don't recall any being this serious before but she's quite the screamer. She drives me batty sometimes. Timeouts haven't worked yet - they cause more... screaming/yelling. LOL But we stick with it.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 8:02 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My 2 year old is screaming her head off every time she doesn't get her way or suffers some injustice at the hand of her sister right now...ANYTHING...if their drinks are different, if she has the toy she wants, if she is tired, hungry, got in trouble, ANYTHING. It is driving me nuts.

I definitely agree that consistency is important. I have been putting her in her room and leaving her to scream until she is sick of hearing herself every time she does it. I am hoping she will eventually see that screaming is NOT the answer to every. single. damn. thing. that goes wrong in her day!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:04 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I know what you are going through. I guarantee you will see a difference and feel better if you try this.
    Have patience and talk to them. When you yell they will yell. If he will not stop, do not yell or spank, just tell them calmly that they are in trouble and go to their room or if they have a time out spot. let me know how it works out. but remember if you are frantic they will be frantic. make sure they are looking at your eyes or mouth when you are talking to them.
    MrsToledo

Answer by MrsToledo at 8:26 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Two options - ignore or timeout. Ignoring looks like this: "It is not okay to talk to mommy like that. I will listen to you when you use your inside voice." Then turn your back and ignore until the behavior stops. This takes a little while before it finally sinks in that you're not kidding. Or in between timeout and ignoring, "If you can't use your inside voice to ask for what you want, we will need to go out to the car and wait until you can." This works well for places where the child wants to be.

In terms of timeouts, I believe in positive timeouts, not negative ones. So it would be this, "It is not okay to talk to mommy like that. Go to your room and do something to make yourself feel better. Scream into your pillow if you like. When all the screams are out, then you may come out and we'll talk."

If you're wary of taking the positive route, I have a 14yo to prove it works. Try it. I never punish.

4EqltyMom

Answer by 4EqltyMom at 8:45 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Is there a lot of yelling or screaming going on in your home ?
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 7:13 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• No we do not yell a lot.
    babyowens081208

Comment by babyowens081208 (original poster) at 8:08 AM on Mar. 30, 2011