Even the AP is finally telling the truth on Obama?

WASHINGTON (AP) -- There may be less than meets the eye to President Barack Obama's statements Monday night that NATO is taking over from the U.S. in Libya and that U.S. action is limited to defending people under attack there by Moammar Gadhafi's forces.

In transferring command and control to NATO, the U.S. is turning the reins over to an organization dominated by the U.S., both militarily and politically. In essence, the U.S. runs the show that is taking over running the show.

And the rapid advance of rebels in recent days strongly suggests they are not merely benefiting from military aid in a defensive crouch, but rather using the multinational force in some fashion - coordinated or not - to advance an offensive.

Here is a look at some of Obama's assertions in his address to the nation Monday, and how they compare with the facts:

---

OBAMA: "Our most effective alliance, NATO, has taken command of the enforcement of the arms embargo and no-fly zone. ... Going forward, the lead in enforcing the no-fly zone and protecting civilians on the ground will transition to our allies and partners, and I am fully confident that our coalition will keep the pressure on Gadhafi's remaining forces. In that effort, the United States will play a supporting role."

THE FACTS: As by far the pre-eminent player in NATO, and a nation historically reluctant to put its forces under operational foreign command, the United States will not be taking a back seat in the campaign even as its profile diminishes for public consumption.

NATO partners are bringing more into the fight. But the same "unique capabilities" that made the U.S. the inevitable leader out of the gate will continue to be in demand. They include a range of attack aircraft, refueling tankers that can keep aircraft airborne for lengthy periods, surveillance aircraft that can detect when Libyans even try to get a plane airborne, and, as Obama said, planes loaded with electronic gear that can gather intelligence or jam enemy communications and radars.

The United States supplies 22 percent of NATO's budget, almost as much as the next largest contributors - Britain and France - combined. A Canadian three-star general was selected to be in charge of all NATO operations in Libya. His boss, the commander of NATO's Allied Joint Force Command Naples, is an American admiral, and the admiral's boss is the supreme allied commander Europe, a post always held by an American.

---

OBAMA: "Our military mission is narrowly focused on saving lives."
THE FACTS: Even as the U.S. steps back as the nominal leader, reduces some assets and fires a declining number of cruise missiles, the scope of the mission appears to be expanding and the end game remains unclear.
Despite insistences that the operation is only to protect civilians, the airstrikes now are undeniably helping the rebels to advance. U.S. officials acknowledge that the effect of air attacks on Gadhafi's forces - and on the supply and communications links that support them - is useful if not crucial to the rebels. "Clearly they're achieving a benefit from the actions that we're taking," Navy Vice Adm. William Gortney, staff director for the Joint Chiefs, said Monday.
The Pentagon has been turning to air power of a kind more useful than high-flying bombers in engaging Libyan ground forces. So far these have included low-flying Air Force AC-130 and A-10 attack aircraft, and the Pentagon is considering adding armed drones and helicopters.
Obama said "we continue to pursue the broader goal of a Libya that belongs not to a dictator, but to its people," but spoke of achieving that through diplomacy and political pressure, not force of U.S. arm

OBAMA: Seeking to justify military intervention, the president said the U.S. has "an important strategic interest in preventing Gadhafi from overrunning those who oppose him. A massacre would have driven thousands of additional refugees across Libya's borders, putting enormous strains on the peaceful - yet fragile - transitions in Egypt and Tunisia." He added: "I am convinced that a failure to act in Libya would have carried a far greater price for America."
THE FACTS: Obama did not wait to make that case to Congress, despite his past statements that presidents should get congressional authorization before taking the country to war, absent a threat to the nation that cannot wait.
"The president does not have the power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation," he told The Boston Globe in 2007 in his presidential campaign. "History has shown us time and again ... that military action is most successful when it is authorized and supported by the legislative branch."
Obama's defense secretary, Robert Gates, said Sunday that the crisis in Libya "was not a vital national interest to the United States, but it was an interest."

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 8:01 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• It's so cold and dark and lonely in here...where is everybody? Hello...liberals.....hello....anybody here.....musta all gone to Illinois, I guess.
    goodwitch399

Answer by goodwitch399 at 2:52 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• LOL! Carpy, I bet this question will be just as quiet as my question "Who is NATO" was!

I think we are doing some stuff "under the table" so to speak. I was reading an article today that indicates a strong and growing fear that we are really helping Al Quaida.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:13 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I think he has begun to make even his cheer leading press angry. I can't wait to see how all o fthis plays out.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:14 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Good luck - they've been avoiding that article and a few others all day
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:06 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• As an Air Force veteran with a son bent on joining the Rangers soon, I hope to God we have a different "Leader" by then.

My child is about to turn 15 and plans to join on his 18th birthday, airborne division of the Rangers. And I don't want someone who's never even gone to boot camp to send my child to a war when he has zero concept of what war truly is! You can read about it. you can watch movies about it, but you can't KNOW.

I didn't see much combat action at all, but my son... when I said, "Do you realize you're basically volunteering for combat duty? And he says, "I sure do. And I can't believe how many [in his ROTC program] don't feel the same way. I don't want to go over there and sit at a desk, why would I?

I do not think Obama was qualified for the presidency. Personally, I wouldn't vote him into the PTA.

I'm sorry for those who disagree; but what a boring world w'ed have if no one ever did!

--tonnie
    TaupinJohn

Answer by TaupinJohn at 11:06 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I read that last night.

Your right it's quiet in here. Bueller? Bueller?
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 6:40 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Buhbye Barack....there will be no " see ya later" either.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:43 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Hello...liberals.....hello....anybody here.....musta all gone to Illinois, I guess.

Ack! Don't wish that on me! There are already enough of them here without sending more this way! Why do they all think they can run over the border and be safe here? I'm going to have to invent some kind of 'bug spray' to keep these pesky AWOLers out of my state. And if it happens to chase away some of the native liberals in the process, well, I wouldn't mind....
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:29 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Ours finally came home this week. Governor told them that in exchange for their work ethic, they pretty much get no say in anything that's going to be done the next few weeks.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:05 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I do not think Obama was qualified for the presidency. Personally, I wouldn't vote him into the PTA.

^^Tonnie, If I could vote you up twice for this I would!

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:08 AM on Mar. 30, 2011