Do you allow your child to have a Facebook page, even if they're under the age requirement?

Why or why not?

Renee3K

Asked by Renee3K at 8:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• no because the age requirement is there for a reason. I also would not allow them to have one unless everything was set to friends only.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 8:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• until or unless my child is a college student they will not have a FB page.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:06 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• no, i wouldn't. (ds is not quite 6yo) i was appalled at the # of kids who had them..and lied about their ages, of course..and their parents knew! no wonder they get into trouble with adults looking to hurt underage/little kids.

and we wonder what is happening to our kids 'these days'.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:07 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• my 11 yo does ... he is secured and his only friends are his grandparents and aunts and uncles brothers and sisters (5 of whom live out of state) and school friends, he has to run all friend requests by me and I monitor it, we have had no problems and it helps TONS with keeping in touch with older siblings.
    pammomof9

Answer by pammomof9 at 8:14 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• No, I plan to keep my daughters away from it for as long as I reasonably can :-)
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:07 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I am 31 and don't have FB. I would never let my under age child have it. I think it is just asking for trouble.
    Momto2beauties

Answer by Momto2beauties at 8:08 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Oh we adjust it so that everything is "friends only".
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 8:10 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• And I am "friends" with all my kids - the underage ones as well as the older ones - so I know who their friends are and what they are up to online. Nothing goes on that I don't know about and approve. Those who think it's dangerous obviously don't understand how to use it safely - my kids DO.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 8:12 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Yes. She is just under the age requirement, and we have extensive discussions about internet safety. Everything is set to friends only, her e-mail is connected to my e-mail, so whatever gets posted on her wall, etc, I see. I also have her password, and I have control over all the settings. The only people who are friends with her are friends and classmates from her current and former schools, and a couple of her teachers (and me). My oldest has no interest in FB, but has accounts some other sites. My youngest kids don't need to get into that stuff yet.

The way I see it, you cannot teach them about safety and about the dangers that lurk out there by keeping them away from it. Some way, some how they will create an account. I would much rather do it for them and have more control over it, than to have them do it behind my back under pressure of their friends.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:17 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• No! Because its to many peoples on there praying on the young.I know because i was once young and had a lotof older mens trying to talk to me.So i know how the game really goes and some peoples lie about there age so ill rather keep them as kids why they're kids.Because i made mistakes and my life and would hate for my kids to go down the wrong path ill rather for them to make there on mistakes in life and not mines.
    lucky740

Answer by lucky740 at 8:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2011