My daughter is 2 and has recently been showing interest in the potty. Last night she told us she had to go poo poo, so we put her on the little potty and she went! It terrified her and now she wants nothing to do with it. We aren't pushing it, but is it normal that she is now scared of it??

snb216

Asked by snb216 at 8:15 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• what happened that she was terrified?
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:15 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Nothing. That's the thing...she went and looked at and started crying and saying no potty. We tried praising her and giving her a lollypop, which is what we told her we would give her if she went.
    snb216

Comment by snb216 (original poster) at 8:17 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• has she ever looked at her poop when she went in a diaper? maybe it's the poop that scared her, not the potty if you kwim.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• LOL. I don't think it's anything to worry about. She probably just didn't know what to expect. Now she does. She's qite young yet, so give her time to get used to this new information, and in time she will likely ask to use it again, but don't be too pushy. I'm not sure I agree with using a lollipop as a reward. Very bad for her teeth, and anyway gaining independance and growing up should be its own reward. Anyway, I really think it was probably just the shock of seeing what happens when you "poo poo".
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 8:20 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• My daughter did the same thing! I'm not sure if its normal or not but we have been having trouble potty training ever since :(
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 8:22 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I think if you let her see that mommy does it too that she'll feel better about it.
    MrsToledo

Answer by MrsToledo at 8:22 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I think it's pretty normal. You could try again in a couple of months.
    Charizma77

Answer by Charizma77 at 8:26 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I'm gonna guess she thought something was supposed to happen that didn't. Like she was going to get candy afterward or something she might have seen someone else do. But the process of getting there scared her. (total guess)
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 11:16 PM on Mar. 29, 2011