Any advise on engorgement?

I weaned my 14 month daughter 3 days ago and I'm still engorged ....any advise ? I tried cabbage leaves and took ibuprophen but still engorged.

Salam1

Asked by Salam1 at 8:24 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Health

• Well...if you never had big boobs before enjoy it. But if you have big boobs I would pump until you're out. Does that work?
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 8:27 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Warn washcloths or let the water run on them in the shower til you feel better. I would express some milk (not a lot or you'll keep producing it) just enough to relieve some pressure. Keep nursing pads in til the milk is gone, because it will leak! I nursed all 3 of my children so that's where this is coming from =) GL!
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 8:33 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• The only time I was engorged was when my milk first came in several days after delivery. What I did was take a hot shower and then I took a towel and wet it with hot water, wrapped it around a heating pad and laid it over my chest. Then I took a nice long nap and when I woke up it was better. I agree that if it gets really bad express a bit of milk, just enough to give you a little relief, but keep it to a minimum or you'll just keep making more milk. Good luck, Mama.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:48 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Put a tight fitting bra on and leave it on for 5 days. Shower with it to. You can use ice packs for the swelling and pain. They do not like to give the "dry up your milk" pills these days because it's very dangerous to your health. A week or in your case 4 more days of a tight fitting bra 24/7 will signal your body that milk time is over and it will get better.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Warm showers help ease the pain. They also make little gel booby pads you can heat to relieve the pain or freeze to try to get the engorgement down. Wearing a sports bra will also help. Massage can also help your boobs feel better, though it won't relieve the engorgement. And keep an eye out for mastitis. It tends to creep up on me every time I wean.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 11:08 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Jeeze! Tough crowd.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 12:44 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Pumping will just make my breasts make more milk ..
    Salam1

Comment by Salam1 (original poster) at 4:33 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Thanks ladies . I'll try your suggestions out ...hopefully my boobs will go back being normal soon .
    Salam1

Comment by Salam1 (original poster) at 4:37 PM on Mar. 30, 2011