Talking.....

I have a 2 1/2 year old, she is my second child of 3 and her vocab consists of "baby, mama, dad, kitty and dog" I do not know if this is because her brother is 4, and we all guess at what she is trying to say and we all do do ALOT of talking for her........but I am starting to worrie bcause when my son was her age he had at least 2 sentances being "shut the door" and "in the water" Any advise?

DMansMom005

Asked by DMansMom005 at 8:52 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe sit with her more with books etc. I wouldn't worry too much for now if she is trying. : )
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 8:53 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• What does your doctor say? I'm not an expert, but I think this is somewhat normal with 2nd kids, especially if the older one does the talking for them.

A girl who was born around the same time as my son was stringing full sentences at 12mo. My son was saying nothing but "a dee!" for everything until he was more than 2y. "A dee" was this, that, there, look, over there, etc. Seriously, that and "um" which meant yes and "no" were the only things he said until he was 2!! Oh, and Mommy and Daddy.

So I wouldn't worry too much, but still, check with your doc.
    4EqltyMom

Answer by 4EqltyMom at 9:00 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• By 2 years old, they should have a vocabulary, I think, of 50+ words and be putting at least 2 words together (light off, dog woof, close door, etc.). Contact the early intervention program in your state (Google "early intervention"+[your state]). They will evaluate your child to see IF she needs services, what services she may need, and if needed, will provide said services for free--in your home before the age of 3 years. They may decide that nothing is wrong, and you'll know you have no reason to worry. But if there's anything you can do, the earlier, the better. I didn't know about this program until my son was 3 years old, and I think it would have saved a lot of time and effort to get things started earlier. He wasn't very far above your daughter, but we started speech therapy in January, and we've already seen a very marked improvement. They can also give you ways to help at home. Good luck!
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Do not let her get away with baby talk...when she says a word repeat the real word and have her say it back like if she says one word then repeat using a sentence so if she says kitty then tell her yes kitty is playing. things like that and read alot of books. also call your school district and ask for a speech screening and they can have her tested for delays that might require extra help
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:23 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Maybe sit with her and do flashcards. They have them for toddlers and my neice thought it was super fun ! :)
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 7:17 AM on Mar. 30, 2011