Why doesn't my 5 year old care about discipline??

My son started kindergarten this year and it has been by far, the biggest struggle for both of us! 90 percent of the school year he has gotten into trouble on a daily basis. Usually for bothering other students (i.e. pushing, stepping on someone, hitting, not sharing, etc.) or for not listening and acting out (i.e. throwing temper tantrums, throwing things). He loves to be center of attention, but at home he is loving and sweet for the most part. I have been consistent with discipline, but nothing phases him. He'll sit in timeout as if he likes it, doesn't even complain at all. Even if hes standing in the corner! I take tv and toys and treats away, doesn't seem to care. I talk to him about behavior every day before bed, on the way to school and after school. And he does not seem to care AT ALL. I don't know what to do....I'm at my wit's end and so frustrated.

C-Elizabeth

Asked by C-Elizabeth at 8:56 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• 1,2,3 Magic by Thoma Phelan IS AN AMAZING BOOK and any one who says "I tried time outs it doesnt work" HAS NOT READ THE BOOK just try it I promis it will be the best $12 you ever spend
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:03 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• I've tried time outs for 5mins up to almost an hour before, standing facing the corner, timers, in the bathroom, sitting in the middle of the floor....I don't know what else there is to try! I believe we've discussed that book in one of my psychology classes....he just has had NO response to time outs, but I suppose I could look it up.
    Thanks!
    C-Elizabeth

Comment by C-Elizabeth (original poster) at 9:08 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• He does care. There's more going on here than what you've discovered.

My son had a LOT of issues in kindergarten that stemmed from boredom in the classroom that was not adequately addressed.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:39 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• How old is he? is he a young kindergartner? Might just be a maturity issue which will work itself out in a year.
    pammomof9

Answer by pammomof9 at 10:04 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Yes, he is actually the youngest in his class. He will be six in July. I didn't want to hold him back though because he is so smart! It may work itself out eventually, but I have been struggling with him and the school all year and I am beyond frustrated.
    C-Elizabeth

Comment by C-Elizabeth (original poster) at 8:19 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• If he were "so smart" he'd find ways to entertain himself without getting in trouble.
    He's just young. He will grow out of it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:06 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I mean smart academically. He's be best reader in his class, which is now moved onto a first grade level and is excelling in everything. He has poor social skills and doesn't care about being in trouble or disciplined. Doesn't phase him whatsoever....he may grow out of it, yes, but I'm not sure how to handle this behavior in the meantime when punishment doesn't work...
    C-Elizabeth

Comment by C-Elizabeth (original poster) at 8:24 PM on Mar. 30, 2011