Did anyone know that there is a expiration date on car seats????

i have never heard of this in my life till i went in for a doctors appt and they asked if i had a car seat and i said i was going to use my sons old one and they told me that car seats have expiration dates.... i was like what for reals... but is this true, have any of you mom's heard of this before?

Lynnsae

Asked by Lynnsae at 9:07 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in General Parenting

• Um, yep, my oldest child is 9 and hers had an exp. date. It's not a new concept.
    Anonymous

• Yep, heard of that. Didn't have that issue though. BUT the reason for the expiration date - plastics break down and they break down faster in the heat of a car.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• yes ma'am. they upgrade the safety features every so often and throw out the old.
    mommy2braedyn

Answer by mommy2braedyn at 9:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Yes, they change the regulations all the time, make advancements. If it wasn't for having an older sister with kids I wouldn't have known either though.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 9:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• No I never heard of that, cuz I'm planning on doing the same thing, my son used his car seat one time so its brand new
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 9:10 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• yes I knew that.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:12 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Yes, they've had them for a long time. Which cracks me up when people pay $400 for a seat they say they will use until their kid is 12 and doesn't need one any more when they expire after 5-7 years (supposedly).
    Sounds like a way for the manufactures to make more money.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:13 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• yeah i never knew but i'm so happy i know now.
    Lynnsae

Comment by Lynnsae (original poster) at 9:14 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Yeah.... I knew that before I was pregnant with my first son. My cousin just gave me her car seat for my husband car but I threw it away it expired 5 years ago!! I will not put any of my kids in an old expired car seat.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 9:15 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Yup... I knew this. People were trying to get me to use thier old seats and I had to keep explaining this to them. Makes perfect sense to me though.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 9:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2011