How can i teach my one year old how to stop clinging to me?

pretty much my daughter clings to me like glue on paper no matter what she comes to me for everything . i try my best to make her stop but it doesnt work and yelling just is not helping, i dont want to hit her because i dont want to hurt her, but i just wish i could figure a way of her to have everyone to go to when there is a problem.

anniebela200

Asked by anniebela200 at 9:16 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's just a phase. She will grow out of it. Until then the best thing you can do is embrace it and let it pass. She just wants you there for her. It will be beneficial if you don't get upset at her for being this way. Just take care of her first, the other stuff will pass. =)
    Anonymous

• You want to HIT your daughter because she wants to be near her mommy? Wow...you suck.
    Anonymous

• She is clinging to you because she needs something. Yelling at her and wanting to hit her is NOT the solution. Children go through phases like a yo-yo. They will go out and explore, physically, emotionally, whatever for a while, then will come back and cling to you. It's normal and natural. What she needs the most right now is for you to show her that her world is still safe. Yelling at her and hitting her will not teach her that.

My daughter is 4 and still clings to me some days. As frustrating as it is for me I understand why she's doing it and try my best to accommodate her with love and kindness until she's ready to go out on her "own" again.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:53 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• bug the crap out of her all day long. Cling to her like there is no tomarrow. She will be itching to get some time to herself.
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 11:09 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Please stop yelling and do not hit her if anything just put her in her crib and walk away if your flustered.... it is a stage and she will outgrow it. yelling at any age does not get results it just makes everyone more mad, just hold her and tell her mommy is right here and put her in a pack-n-play and let her see you from a distance and let her see you be busy and in time she will figure out your not going anywhere
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Stop yelling for one thing, that only scares and confuses them more and will make them cling to you more. And hitting is NEVER the answer, we all get frustrated as parents, I should know, my daughter is in the terrible 2's. But you need a break from her and she needs one from you obviously, see if grandma or grandpa can give you some time. Also, you need to seriously talk to your doctor, get some help, you may need meds. Above all, Do Not Hit your child, what kind of parent does that. I feel for your child and I will pray for her.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 9:03 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• thanks for all your comments i really figured out some ways of how to control her now . from now on i will not yell or hit her, i know thats wrong but i cant comfort her to much eather .. sometimes hearing different Epinions does help it gives me options. thanks so very much . lauren
    anniebela200

Comment by anniebela200 (original poster) at 10:05 PM on Mar. 30, 2011