Is it okay for a child to talk back to an adult and there parents sits there and side with them?

lucky740

Asked by lucky740 at 9:30 PM on Mar. 29, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Depends on the situation.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:33 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• Wow . . .whatever the disagreement was, it sounds intense. For me, the details would matter . .. .
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 9:34 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• depends on the situation, i'm pretty sure my kids wouldn't be bratty enough to start any crap and i'd hope an adult wouldn't try to boss my children around, espcially if i were around, that wouldn't be good for them lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:44 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• very good answer
    lucky740

Comment by lucky740 (original poster) at 9:58 PM on Mar. 29, 2011

• my honest opinion, no a child should not talk back to an adult- their parent should not allow this
    dimpsedee34me

Answer by dimpsedee34me at 12:35 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• 9 times out of 10 I would say no. But we do have one particular adult who has been nothing but evil to my child since she came into our lives when my daughter was 5 (in-law). After 7 years of both blatant and barely concealed meanness toward her and disrespect to me, my daughter simply has no respect for her. So she does tend to get a little snippy with her and has a very hard time biting her tongue. Considering that this is the ONLY adult she acts that way toward, and more often than not her points she makes are correct, I have a hard time jumping down her throat for the way she speaks to her.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 6:58 AM on Mar. 30, 2011

• It would definitely depend on the situation, I want my children to learn to give and recieve respect. I've always taught them that respect is earned and if you respect others they will respect you. There has never been issues to my knowledge of my kids being disrespectful, I am told regularly about how respectful they are, so if they were disrepect I would believe it would have been warranted and if I was there and it was warranted my kids probably wouldn't get the opportunity to say anything because I'd be jumping all over it.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• I have to agree with mandaday. I have good kids. So if one of them has a problem with somebody, that somebody is more than likely the source of the problem. As budding adults my children are going to need to learn how to deal with difficult people in a way that is respectful of both the other person and themselves. I won't teach my children to be doormats and sit in silence while an "adult" goes off in their faces. At the same time they don't need to be disrespectful annoying brats either. The fact that you used the term "talks back" indicated to me that you think you deserve respect "just" because you are an "adult" even if you happen to be the one who is totally out of line. If the parent is siding with the kid you can be pretty sure that most of the adults in the room think you are a fool and wish you would shut up and the kid was the only one with the nerve to point out the obvious. Remember The Emperor 's New Clothes ?

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 12:53 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• Grrreat
    lucky740

Comment by lucky740 (original poster) at 2:47 PM on Mar. 30, 2011

• So, I'm going to assume your kid was the one who was accused of talking back, and you are looking for proof for your obnoxious relative, neighbor, whatever that this other person needs to take your kid's opinion seriously and and stop criticizing you for sitting there since you seem to be agreeing with me.  So please swap out all the you's for her's.   Yes, tell your drunken SIL to take her bender elsewhere.  She is making a fool of herself, and while the adults may be inclined to politely excuse her rantings, the child tells the truth.  (I have a person like this, but she is my husband's brother's wife's brother's wife.  So I only have to see her when the nephews get married and such.) Heaven help you if this is your MIL or FIL!

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 3:10 PM on Mar. 30, 2011